1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1 dimensional kinematics with car and motorcycle

1. Oct 20, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two friends agree to test their physics background in 1D motion. Steve, is a distance d ahead of Jack. Jack is driving at a constant, know velocity v0 when they start their experiment. At this moment, Steve accelerates from rest with his motorcycle in such a way that they only meet once at time tF at a distance xF from where Jack started the experiment.
    a)What is the velocity of Steve starting from rest once he meets Jack in terms of v0
    b) show that the acceleration for Steve is given by a= v^2/2a
    c) Show that the time tF is given by : tF= 2d/v0
    d) Show that the distance xF, i.e. the distance Jack traveled after he started counting the experiment, is given by: xF= 2d

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have b and c. I cannot for my life seem to get (a and d). Any hints or help would help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2015 #2
    v_0 in which direction? Towards Steve or away from him?
    Also, does Steve undergo uniform acceleration?

4. Oct 20, 2015 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

For (a) you can make a logical argument about what Steve's speed must be when they meet given that they do meet and only once.

For (d), consider your answer to (c) and what you know about Jack's speed.

5. Oct 20, 2015 #4
    Is there a typo here?

6. Oct 20, 2015 #5
    Yes, it should be a= v^2/2d

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted