1157 Incadscent to LED Wiring Instructions

• Electrical
  • Thread starter John1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Wiring
In summary, older cars from the 60's may require dropping resistors in parallel with LED bulbs to mimic the load of incandescent bulbs and allow the flasher unit to work properly. Placing the resistor in series may not have the same effect. It is important to understand the purpose of dropping resistors in order to properly install them in a vehicle.
John1397
TL;DR Summary
How to wire correctly?
On older cars made in the 60's I believe flashers work as I drew it out but dropping resistors sold on Amazon are 6 ohm and it states that they go in parallel not to ground seems to me if you was going from high current draw incandescent bulbs to low draw LED one would put one resistor from lamp positive terminal to ground. Why do I think this it is because when the lamp in back does not burn only front one burns but does not flash seems you need more load to make a flasher work. I also think rather than put one resistor on right and another on left just put one resistor from flasher to ground.

Attachments

• flash.jpg
    flash.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 259
Physics news on Phys.org
We want to help you - this why we are here. But you have meet us halfway. I cannot understand what you wrote. I could guess I suppose. Please rewrite this question, Then post it in a new question. You can and paste into a new question, then edit to fix the question(s).

The first sentence for example - It really seems to me to be one convoluted sentence that may actually be several sentences. Thanks for understanding.

I have some experience with this and I can offer some insight. The reason for using a dropping resistor in parallel is to mimic the load of the incandescent bulbs. LED bulbs have a much lower current draw, so the flasher unit may not recognize the load and will not flash properly. By adding a resistor in parallel, it increases the load and allows the flasher unit to work as intended.

As for your suggestion of putting the resistor from the flasher to ground, this could work but it may not be the most efficient way to do it. By placing the resistor in parallel with the bulbs, it allows the current to flow through the bulbs and the resistor, creating the necessary load. If the resistor is placed in series, it may not have the same effect.

I hope this helps clarify the use of dropping resistors in older cars. It may seem counterintuitive, but it is necessary to ensure proper functioning of the flasher unit.

1. What is the purpose of converting from incandescent to LED lighting?

The main purpose of converting from incandescent to LED lighting is to save energy and reduce electricity costs. LED lights use significantly less energy and have a longer lifespan compared to traditional incandescent bulbs.

2. Can I use the same wiring for LED lights as I did for incandescent lights?

No, LED lights require a different wiring setup than incandescent lights. LED lights use a low-voltage direct current (DC) power supply, while incandescent lights use a high-voltage alternating current (AC) power supply. This means that the wiring and connections will need to be changed to accommodate the different power supply.

3. Do I need to replace my existing light fixtures when switching to LED?

In most cases, you do not need to replace your existing light fixtures when switching to LED. LED bulbs are designed to fit into standard light fixtures. However, if your fixtures are very old or damaged, it may be a good idea to replace them to ensure proper installation and performance of the LED bulbs.

4. Are there any safety concerns when converting from incandescent to LED lighting?

No, there are no major safety concerns when converting from incandescent to LED lighting. LED lights produce less heat and do not contain any hazardous materials, making them safer to use. However, it is always important to follow proper installation instructions and use caution when handling electrical components.

5. How do I know which LED bulbs to use for my existing fixtures?

It is important to choose LED bulbs that are compatible with your existing fixtures. Look for LED bulbs with the same base type (e.g. E26, GU10) and wattage equivalent as your incandescent bulbs. Additionally, make sure to check the color temperature and lumens of the LED bulbs to ensure they provide the desired lighting effect.