1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D Kinematics: Distance between 2 cars

1. May 11, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Car A is traveling a distance d behind Car B. Initically both cars are traveling at the same speed of 60 ft/s. Suddenly Car B applies the brakes, causing Car B to decelerate at 8ft/s2. It takes the driver of Car A 0.75 seconds to react, and when she applies her brakes Car A decelerates at 20ft/s2.

What is the initial minimum distance d between the cars so as to avoid a collision?

2. Relevant equations
    xf=xi+vo*t+(1/2)a*t2
    vf=vo+a*t

3. The attempt at a solution
    FIrst thing I did was solve for xf.b=0+60(0.75)+(-8*.5*0.752) = 42.75ft
    Secondly, I solved for xf.a=0+60(0.75) = 45ft

So I know after 0.75 seconds, the distance d = c+2.25. Now I need to solve for c.

I know that A will continually get closer to B until their velocities are equal again so I then set vf=vo+a*t equal to each other for each car (once I found final velocity of B after 0.75 seconds) and solved for t, which was 0.5 seconds.

After that I solved xf=xi+vo*t+(1/2)a*t2 for each car again, getting Δxa=27.5, Δxb=26. 27.5-26 = c, which i then substituted in d = c + 2.25 to get the answer.

I got the right answer, but I am really unsure about the process. I thought my way through it but it was really roundabout. Is there a more logical process to solving this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2016 #2
    pl. explain your doubts about your calculation .

4. May 11, 2016 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which part are you unsure about? Your reasoning seems solid.

5. May 11, 2016 #4
    Thank you for the quick reply. I feel like I was just solving things randomly, maybe it is just because this stuff is new and I don;t know exactly what I am doing yet. I wasn't confident in my approach until I got the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted