1st Law of Thermo, work in a piston.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
twmggc
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Air is expanded in a piston-cylinder arrangement at a constant P of 200kPa from a volume of 0.1 m3 to a volume of 0.3m3. Then the temperature is held constant during an expansion to a volume of 0.5m3. Predict the total work done in the air.


Homework Equations


W = ∫PdV , PV = nRT


The Attempt at a Solution


For the first part of the expansion I used:
W = ∫PdV = P∫dV = P(V2 - V1) = 200,000Pa ( 0.3-0.1)m3
and got W = 40,000J.

The next expansion is what is confusing me.
Since Pressure is no longer constant I need to leave it in the W = ∫PdV equation.
So, I transform this equation using the ideal gas eqn. PV = nRT and get:
W = nRT∫dV/V = nRT*ln(V3/V2)
But, without knowing the n or the T how do I get the work?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Trick: Replace the nRT in your expression for W with some other expression (using the ideal gas law).
 
Since Temperature is constant for this part I can assume P2V2=P3V3 and find P3 and then replace nRT in my work equation with P3V3 (PV = nRT).
After my computations I got 30,649.54J which sounds within reason.

Was this what you were thinking?
 
Yes. But there's no need to find P3. You can use P2 and V2 instead of P3 and V3.