1st Law of Thermo, work in a piston.

In summary, the air is expanded at a constant pressure of 200kPa from 0.1m3 to 0.3m3, resulting in a work done of 40,000J. For the next expansion, the temperature is held constant and the work is found using the ideal gas law equation, which results in a value of 30,649.54J. There is no need to find P3, as P2 and V2 can be used instead.
twmggc

Homework Statement

Air is expanded in a piston-cylinder arrangement at a constant P of 200kPa from a volume of 0.1 m3 to a volume of 0.3m3. Then the temperature is held constant during an expansion to a volume of 0.5m3. Predict the total work done in the air.

Homework Equations

W = ∫PdV , PV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of the expansion I used:
W = ∫PdV = P∫dV = P(V2 - V1) = 200,000Pa ( 0.3-0.1)m3
and got W = 40,000J.

The next expansion is what is confusing me.
Since Pressure is no longer constant I need to leave it in the W = ∫PdV equation.
So, I transform this equation using the ideal gas eqn. PV = nRT and get:
W = nRT∫dV/V = nRT*ln(V3/V2)
But, without knowing the n or the T how do I get the work?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Trick: Replace the nRT in your expression for W with some other expression (using the ideal gas law).

Since Temperature is constant for this part I can assume P2V2=P3V3 and find P3 and then replace nRT in my work equation with P3V3 (PV = nRT).
After my computations I got 30,649.54J which sounds within reason.

Was this what you were thinking?

Yes. But there's no need to find P3. You can use P2 and V2 instead of P3 and V3.

I would respond by saying that the first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. In this case, the air is expanding and doing work on the piston, causing it to move. The work done by the air is equal to the area under the pressure-volume curve, which can be calculated using the equation W = ∫PdV.

For the first part of the expansion, since the pressure is constant, we can simply use the equation W = PΔV to calculate the work done. However, for the second part of the expansion where the temperature is held constant, we cannot use this equation since the pressure is no longer constant. Instead, we can use the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, to calculate the work done.

To do this, we first need to find the number of moles (n) of air present. This can be done using the ideal gas law, n = PV/RT. Since the temperature is held constant, we can use the initial pressure and volume to calculate n. Plugging this value of n into the equation W = nRT*ln(V3/V2), we can then calculate the work done during this part of the expansion.

In summary, the total work done by the air is the sum of the work done during the first part of the expansion (W = PΔV) and the work done during the second part of the expansion (W = nRT*ln(V3/V2)).

1. What is the 1st Law of Thermodynamics?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics is also known as the Law of Conservation of Energy. It states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How does the 1st Law of Thermodynamics apply to work in a piston?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics applies to work in a piston by stating that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. In a piston, work is done by the gas inside the piston as it expands and moves the piston outward. This work is a form of energy transfer and follows the principles of the 1st Law.

3. What is meant by "work" in the context of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics?

In the context of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics, work refers to the transfer of energy from one system to another. In the case of a piston, work is done by the gas inside the piston as it expands and moves the piston outward.

4. How is work calculated in a piston?

Work in a piston can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the piston by the distance the piston moves. This formula is represented as W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

5. Can work done by a piston be negative?

Yes, work done by a piston can be negative. This occurs when the gas inside the piston is compressed and the piston moves inward, causing work to be done on the gas instead of the gas doing work. In this case, the work done is considered to be negative.