1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute the Work: Pressure analogous to Volume

1. Jul 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One mole of an ideal gas is warmed slowly, so that the pressure and volume go from (Pi, Vi) to (3Pi, 3Vi), in such a way that the pressure is analogous to the volume.

a) What's the Work (W)?
    b) What is the correlation between the temperature and the volume during that process?

2. Relevant equations

W = - ∫Vf ViPdV

3. The attempt at a solution

In this case, I don't have a stable pressure or volume, so I'm at the third case. So, I need a function of P that contains V. I know PV = nRT, and I know that n = 1 mole. Plus, R is a known quantity. Problem is, T is not a constant, so I can't integrate P = nRT/V.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I think this statement
    means you are to take P and V as being in a constant ratio.

4. Jul 30, 2017 #3
    So kinda like this:

Pi/Vi = c = P/V

WW = - ∫Vf ViPdV = - ∫Vf VicVdV = - c ∫Vf ViVdV = -c[V2/2] |Vf Vi = -c * (9Vi2/2 - Vi2/2) = -4cVi2 = -4(Pi/Vi)*Vi2 = -4PiVi which is the book's answer.

As for (b):

PV = nRT <=> T = PV/nR = cV2/nR <=> T = (Pi/nrVi)*V2 which is the book's answer.

So technically I just use the "formula" that says that the pressure, divided by the volume, of any instance, is equal to the initial pressure, divided by the initial volume, since these two quantities are analogous, correct?

5. Jul 30, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but it it is a rather unusual use of the word "analogous". Proportional would have been clearer.

6. Jul 30, 2017 #5
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind for next time (translations sometimes have these problems). Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted