2 Cylinder elastic rotational collision

In summary: So in that case, since the contact surfaces are at rest after the collision, the only thing that would be losing energy is the rotational energy of the first cylinder.In summary, the first cylinder has rotational energy equal to the sum of the rotational energy of the two cylinders it collided with.
redivider

Homework Statement

[/B]
A cylinder with mass 3kg slides on ice with its base surface at 5m/s and collides with an identical but stationary cylinder. The collision is elastic. After the collision, the center-masses of the cylinders move at angles 45 and 30 degrees from the starting direction, What is the rotational energy of the first cylinder?

Ok so the problem I am having here is that I cannot picture the problem and that is why I am asking here as there is no sketch in the book. I do not understand how the angles are set up.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Is it any of these? :
http://i.imgur.com/mXYFaDV.png
I'm feeling pretty dumb, bear with me :frown:.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not yet attempted.

Physics news on Phys.org
redivider said:
Is it any of these? :
Yes. One of those.

Now, two of them are impossible (think about which and why) so only one remains.

Likes redivider
Well the collision happens at an angle not head-on so I believe it is the 2. one, and the angle under which the first one hits the second one is, I believe (45+30)/2 and then I pretty much have the solution, just the "muscle exercise" remains.

redivider said:
What is the rotational energy
I see no suggestion that anything is rotating.
redivider said:
the angle under which the first one hits the second one
Not sure what you mean by that.

Imagine a pool ball getting hit, that's what I think this problem is similar to. The collision happens like so: http://i.imgur.com/htf6M8X.png

EDIT: I don't know how to explain it in english I guess, this is what I meant: https://vid.me/DVHd

Last edited:
redivider said:
Imagine a pool ball getting hit, that's what I think this problem is similar to. The collision happens like so: http://i.imgur.com/htf6M8X.png

EDIT: I don't know how to explain it in english I guess, this is what I meant: https://vid.me/DVHd
Sure, but
  • I do not know what you are defining as the "angle under which the first hits the second"
  • The acquisition of rotational energy depends on the friction of the surfaces, which is not specified.

haruspex said:
The acquisition of rotational energy depends on the friction of the surfaces, which is not specified.
Well, the angles are given so you can use conservation of momentum to find the velocities and conservation of energy and angular momentum to find the rotations. This is a question based on conserved quantities, not forces and torques.

Orodruin said:
Well, the angles are given so you can use conservation of momentum to find the velocities and conservation of energy and angular momentum to find the rotations. This is a question based on conserved quantities, not forces and torques.
Ok, I was forgetting that the definition of elastic collision means that not only is no energy lost to the elastic deformation of the materials, but none is lost to friction between contact surfaces either.

1. What is a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision?

A 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision is a type of collision between two cylinders that results in both cylinders rotating after the collision, with no loss of kinetic energy. This type of collision is considered to be elastic because the total kinetic energy of the two cylinders before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

2. How is the kinetic energy conserved in a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision?

In a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision, the kinetic energy is conserved because there is no external force acting on the system. This means that the total kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision?

The outcome of a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision can be affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the cylinders, as well as the distance between them at the time of collision. The shape and elasticity of the cylinders can also play a role in the outcome of the collision.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision?

Angular momentum is conserved in a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision because the total angular momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total angular momentum after the collision. This means that the rotational motion of the cylinders is also conserved.

5. What are some real-life examples of a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision?

A real-life example of a 2 Cylinder Elastic Rotational Collision can be seen in billiards or pool, where the cue ball and another ball collide and both rotate after the collision. Another example is the collision between two spinning wheels on a car, where the wheels may rotate in opposite directions after the collision.