1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 dimensional collision confusion

1. May 5, 2014 #1

NKC

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2 kg mass with initial velocity v = (5i + 7j) collides perfectly elastically with a 3 kg
    mass with initial velocity v = (-1i -3j) After the collision, the 2kg mass has a speed of
    √50 m/s and the 3 kg mass is traveling at an angle of 329.77Θ as measured from the positive x
    axis. Determine the speed of the 3 kg mass after the collision and the angle of the 2 kg mass
    after the collision (as measured from the positive x axis).
    i and j are the x and y axis respectively.
    2. Relevant equations
    P = MV
    KE = 0.5MV^2
    A*B = XYCosΘ
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Initial:
    KEm1 = 0.5(2)(5i + 7j)^2
    KEm2 = 0.5(3(-1i - 3j)^2
    Pm1 = 2(5i + 7j)
    Pm2 = 3(-1i - 3j)
    Final:
    KEm1 = 0.5(2)(√50)^2 Cosø
    KEm2 = 0.5(3)V^2 Cos(329.77)
    Pm1 = 2(√50)
    Pm2 = 3V
    I know that initial momentum and KE of the system should equal the final momentum and KE of the system, but I can't figure out how to set that up with a 2 dimensional collision. Normally it would be KEi = KEf and Pi = Pf, but with i and j coordinators I can't figure out how to make that work. Should KE and P for the y coordinate and the x coordinate be calculated separately?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

Qube

Gold Member

Yes.

4. May 6, 2014 #3

NKC

Yes to both KE and Momentum? I thought kinetic energy didn't have a direction being a scalar.

5. May 6, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you answer your own question. "Should KE and P for the y coordinate and the x coordinate be calculated separately?": Yes on three counts: KE, px and Py.

6. May 6, 2014 #5

NKC

Just to be clear, that leaves me with 3 equations for initial values, and 3 for final values right?

7. May 6, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The initial ones have no unknowns, the final ones 2.

You will have to do something about the final ones: where do the cosines in the KE come from ? And why aren't the P vectors instead of numbers ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted