2 Port analysis of series Inductor (Simple)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the S-parameters for a 2 port network consisting of a series inductor with Z=j100 ohms in a 50 ohm system. The equations and steps for finding the S-parameters are provided, including how to obtain S12, as well as a different approach using y parameters. The question of whether a negative transmission coefficient is possible is also raised.
Xyius
EDIT: Oops! I posted this in the wrong section! Meant to post in engineering section!

I am not sure if I am doing this problem correctly or not. It is very simple.

1. Homework Statement

A 2 port network consists of just a series inductor with ##Z=j 100 \Omega## in a ##50 \Omega## system. Determine the corresponding S-parameters.

Homework Equations

S Parameter matrix equations
[tex]b_1 = S_{11}a_1 + S_{12}a_2[/tex]
[tex]b_2 = S_{21}a_1 + S_{22}a_2[/tex]
Where
[itex]a_1=\frac{V_1+Z_0I_1}{2\sqrt{Z_0}}[/itex],
[itex]a_2=\frac{V_2+Z_0I_2}{2\sqrt{Z_0}}[/itex],
[itex]b_1=\frac{V_1-Z_0I_1}{2\sqrt{Z_0}}[/itex],
[itex]b_2=\frac{V_2-Z_0I_2}{2\sqrt{Z_0}}[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

First I let ##a_1=0## by terminating the line with an impedance equal to the characteristic impedance so ##V_1=-Z_0I_1##. Doing this allows me to use my first two equations above and solve for both ##S_{22}## and ##S_{12}##.

[tex]S_{22}=\frac{b_2}{a_2}=\frac{V_2-Z_0I_2}{V_2+Z_0I_2}=\frac{Z_{out}-Z_0}{Z_{out}+Z_0}[/tex]

When the circuit is terminated on the LHS with a resistor equal to the characteristic impedance, the output impedance is simply ##Z+Z_0##. Plugging everything in, this gives me.
[tex]S_{22}=\frac{1}{2}(1+j)[/tex]

This part wasn't a problem, getting ##S_{12}## is giving me confusion. The equation is, (we will use ##I_1=I_2##)
[tex]S_{12}=\frac{b_1}{a_2}=\frac{V_1-Z_0I_1}{V_2+Z_0I_2}=\frac{\frac{V_1}{I_2}-Z_0}{\frac{V_2}{I_2}+Z_0}.[/tex]

Because ##a_1=0## we know that ##V_1=-Z_0I_1=-Z_0I_2##, also ##V_2/I_2=Z_0##thus,
[tex]S_{12}=\frac{-2Z_0}{\frac{V_2}{I_2}+Z_0}=\frac{-2Z_0}{2Z_0}=-1.[/tex]

This is what I am confused about. Can the transmission coefficient be negative? Would that just mean that the transmitted energy simply has a ##\pi## phase shift? Am I doing this right?

The other two parameters can be obtained by similar means.

Since the inductor is imbedded in a Z0 = 50 ohm system you can
1. find the y parameters for the 2-port.
2. normalize to the 50 ohm environment (source and load = 50 ohms, possible xmsn line Z0 also = 50 ohms connecting the source to the input port and the output port to the load)
3. convert to s parameters using conversion tables.

This is probably not the approach used by seasoned microwave engineers but I like it because I understand y parameters better than s parameters.

1. What is a series inductor?

A series inductor is a type of inductor that is connected in series with other components in an electrical circuit. It is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How does a series inductor affect a circuit?

A series inductor can affect a circuit in several ways. It can act as a low-pass filter, allowing only low-frequency signals to pass through. It can also cause a phase shift in the circuit, changing the relationship between voltage and current. Additionally, a series inductor can cause impedance and voltage drops in a circuit, depending on the frequency of the input signal.

3. What is a 2 port analysis of a series inductor?

A 2 port analysis of a series inductor is a mathematical method used to analyze the behavior of a series inductor in a circuit. It involves breaking down the circuit into two ports (input and output) and calculating the voltage, current, and impedance at each port, taking into account the properties of the series inductor.

4. What are the parameters used in a 2 port analysis of a series inductor?

The parameters used in a 2 port analysis of a series inductor are input impedance, output impedance, and transfer impedance. Input impedance is the ratio of input voltage to input current, output impedance is the ratio of output voltage to output current, and transfer impedance is the ratio of output voltage to input current.

5. How is a 2 port analysis of a series inductor useful?

A 2 port analysis of a series inductor is useful for understanding the behavior and characteristics of a series inductor in a circuit. It can help in designing and optimizing circuits, as well as troubleshooting and diagnosing issues. It is also necessary for analyzing and designing complex circuits that involve multiple components and interactions between them.