Eletrostatics in conductors: Find the capacity

In summary, the problem at hand involves calculating the capacity and capacity coefficients of a capacitor formed by two conductors with known potential and charge values. The fundamental problem of electrostatics is used to determine these values, which relies on the linear relationship between charge and potential for each conductor. An attempt at a solution using a matrix is made, but the correct answer is not obtained due to an error in computing the inverse of the matrix. The correct values for the capacity coefficients are found to be C_{11}=\frac{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}C_1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}-C_1C_2}, C_{22}=\frac{(4
tsuwal

Homework Statement

Consider two conductors with capacity C1 and C2, separated by a distance d sufficiently large, so that each conductor can be considered as pontual, when observed by the other. Find the capacity coeficients and the capacity of the capacitor thereby formed.

Homework Equations

This problem is related to what my teacher calls the fundamental problem of eletrostatics:
- When given n conductors with know potencials, we want to calculate its charges. The charges of each conductor depend linearly on the potencials of the conductors such that:
Charge of conductor k=[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}S_{ik}V_i[/itex], where S_ik is the potencial coefficient and V_i is the potencial of conductor i

- When given n conductors with know charges, we want to calculate its potencials. The potencial of each conductor depend linearly on the charges of the conductors such that:
POtencial of conductor k=[itex]\sum_{i=1}^{n}C_{ik}q_i[/itex], where C_ik is the capacity coeffient and q_i is the charge of the conductor i

The Attempt at a Solution

How do I solve this? I tried this way:
[itex]
\begin{bmatrix}
S_{11} &S_{12} \\
S_{21} & S_{22}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
V_1\\
V_2
\end{bmatrix}
=
\begin{bmatrix}
\frac{1}{C_1} & \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0d}\\
\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0d}& \frac{1}{C_2}
\end{bmatrix}
\begin{bmatrix}
V_1\\
V_2
\end{bmatrix}
=\begin{bmatrix}
q_1\\
q_2
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]
I assumed S_11=1/C_1 and S_22=1/C_2 and S_12=S_12=1/4pi*epsilon*d

However, the answer I get from inverting this matrix is not the right answer. The right answer is:
[itex]C_{11}=\frac{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}C_1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}-C_1C_2};

C_{22}=\frac{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}C_2}{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}-C_1C_2};

C_{12}=C_{21}=-\frac{4\pi\epsilon_0dC_2C_1}{(4\pi\epsilon_0d)^{2}-C_1C_2}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Give me a moment to correct latex, sorry :P

Oh my god, the latex was right. I don't understand. Can anyone see it?

Hello Tsuwal,

Yes, I can see your Latex.

Concerning the content of the matrix, are you absolutely sure of it?

If you have a conductor with self capacitance [itex]Q[/itex], what's the relation between charge and potential?

J.

Actually, scratch it: the matrix is right, but what you wrote is not correct: what's the relation between capacitance, charge and potential?

capacitance=charge/potencial but I still can't get there.

Tsuwal, slightly rephrased, that's correct:

Capacitance times potential = charge​

However, that's not what you wrote in your equation.

Your equation should look line:

[itex]
\left [
\begin{array}{cc}
S_{11} & S_{12} \\
S_{21} & S_{22}\end{array}
\right ]
\left [ \begin{array}{c}
q_1 \\
q_2 \end{array}\right ] = \left [ \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{C_1} & \frac{1}{4\,\pi\,\epsilon_{0}\,d} \\
\frac{1}{4\,\pi\,\epsilon_{0}\,d} & \frac{1}{C_2}\end{array}\right ] \left [ \begin{array}{c}
q_1 \\
q_2 \end{array}\right ] = \left [ \begin{array}{c}
V_1 \\
V_2 \end{array}\right ]
[/itex]

And thus

[itex]
S^{-1} = C
[/itex]

I did the inversion of your [itex]S[/itex] matrix and found:

[itex]
\left[\begin{array}{rr}
\frac{16 \, \pi^{2} C_{1} d^{2} e_{0}^{2}}{16 \, \pi^{2} d^{2} e_{0}^{2} - C_{1} C_{2}} & -\frac{4 \, \pi C_{1} C_{2} d e_{0}}{16 \, \pi^{2} d^{2} e_{0}^{2} - C_{1} C_{2}} \\
-\frac{4 \, \pi C_{1} C_{2} d e_{0}}{16 \, \pi^{2} d^{2} e_{0}^{2} - C_{1} C_{2}} & \frac{16 \, \pi^{2} C_{2} d^{2} e_{0}^{2}}{16 \, \pi^{2} d^{2} e_{0}^{2} - C_{1} C_{2}}
\end{array}\right]
[/itex]

So whatever error you have, it's in the computation of the inverse.

Hope this helps!

J.

You are right! Thanks!

1. What is the definition of electrostatics in conductors?

Electrostatics in conductors is the study of how electric charges behave in materials that allow the flow of electricity, known as conductors. It deals with the movement and distribution of electric charges within conductors, as well as the effects of external electric fields on these charges.

2. How is the capacity of a conductor determined in electrostatics?

The capacity of a conductor in electrostatics is determined by the amount of charge it can hold at a given potential difference, known as its capacitance. This capacitance is dependent on various factors such as the size, shape, and material of the conductor, as well as the surrounding medium and any nearby conductors or charges.

3. What is the equation for calculating the capacitance of a conductor?

The equation for calculating the capacitance of a conductor is C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads (F), Q is the charge on the conductor in coulombs (C), and V is the potential difference across the conductor in volts (V). This equation is known as the capacitance equation.

4. How does the capacitance of a conductor change with the addition of other conductors or charges nearby?

The capacitance of a conductor can change with the addition of other conductors or charges nearby due to the effects of electric fields. If the nearby conductors or charges have the same charge as the conductor in question, the capacitance will decrease as the electric fields repel each other. On the other hand, if the nearby conductors or charges have an opposite charge, the capacitance will increase as the electric fields attract each other.

5. What are some real-world applications of electrostatics in conductors?

Electrostatics in conductors has a variety of real-world applications, including the design and operation of electronic devices such as capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits. It is also used in industries such as power generation and distribution, where conductors are used to transport and store electric charge. Additionally, it plays a crucial role in the functioning of lightning rods, which protect buildings and other structures from lightning strikes by conducting the electric charge safely to the ground.