1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2 Problems/Trig Function and Identity

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone. I officially have the worst Trig teacher in America and I have never been so confused in a math class before. I have at least 5 problems (only 2 posted here) I'm struggling with and need to figure out before my exam tomorrow. Any help is much appreciated.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function f(x) = x - sin x is odd. True or False?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From my professors review I know it's True but his explanation was so unclear I don't know why. ??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sin[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]/[/tex]1-cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]- sin[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]/[/tex]1+cos[tex]\alpha[/tex]=

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I ended up with 0 as the solution. ??

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    For a function to be odd, it must satisfy f(-x) = -f(x)
    Try applying that to your function.

Is this what you mean for the second one?
    [tex]\frac{sin\alpha}{1 - cos\alpha} - \frac{sin\alpha}{1 + cos\alpha}[/tex]

Are you supposed to simplify it or prove an identity?

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3
    So on the function problem I need to substitute -x and -f into the equation and solve?

On the identity problem they want to me simplify and yes you have it correct above.

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4
    With your f(x), evaluate f(-x) and see if you get -f(x). If you do, then f(x) is an odd function.

For the other problem, show what you tried; I don't think it's equal to 0.

6. Sep 20, 2009 #5
    Cool, I was able to get -f(x) on the first one.

Honestly I feel really stupid on the second one. I don't know where to start other than getting a common denominator and then evaluating? Is that even how it would go?

That's probably way wrong but that's why I'm here lol...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. Sep 20, 2009 #6
    Try multiplying by the conjugates of the denominators to simplify. That's one of the first things you should try doing with trig problems like this.

8. Sep 20, 2009 #7
    trig functions are just functions of numbers like anything else, you shouldn't think that you aren't allowed to take common denominators..et c and everything else.

for your question, the denominators 1- cos x and 1+cosx, the answer should be fairly clean. And when you get stuck simplifying, keep other known identities in mind (like the Pythagorean theorem).

The answer isn't 0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook