2 slit trouble with vapor trails

• Thread starter oompa
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

This seems to be worth doing, but maybe I don't understand vapor trails.
Is it possible to get a two slit interference pattern from a particle that makes a vapor trail? If so could you get the interference pattern and then change the conditions inside the chamber so that a vapor trail was present. Would the interference pattern disappear?

Answers and Replies

I am sorry

I am sorry, but I missed the day they did the two slit experiment in the cloud chamber. Does anyone know what happened?

JesseM
Science Advisor
I am sorry, but I missed the day they did the two slit experiment in the cloud chamber. Does anyone know what happened?
I don't know if this experiment has been done, but I know that in the ordinary Feynman double-slit experiment with electrons they have to create a vacuum between the electron gun and the screen; presumably interactions with the air molecules would destroy the interference pattern, and I'm confident this would be the case if a cloud chamber was used, since the trail would allow one to see which slit the particle went through.

The air molecules mess up the interference pattern. That is almost too simple. Thanks.