2 slit trouble with vapor trails

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a two slit interference pattern from a particle that creates a vapor trail in a cloud chamber. It is questioned whether changing the conditions inside the chamber would affect the interference pattern and it is suggested that interactions with air molecules may disrupt the pattern. It is also mentioned that the speaker is not familiar with the results of the experiment.
oompa
This seems to be worth doing, but maybe I don't understand vapor trails.
Is it possible to get a two slit interference pattern from a particle that makes a vapor trail? If so could you get the interference pattern and then change the conditions inside the chamber so that a vapor trail was present. Would the interference pattern disappear?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry

I am sorry, but I missed the day they did the two slit experiment in the cloud chamber. Does anyone know what happened?

oompa said:
I am sorry, but I missed the day they did the two slit experiment in the cloud chamber. Does anyone know what happened?
I don't know if this experiment has been done, but I know that in the ordinary Feynman double-slit experiment with electrons they have to create a vacuum between the electron gun and the screen; presumably interactions with the air molecules would destroy the interference pattern, and I'm confident this would be the case if a cloud chamber was used, since the trail would allow one to see which slit the particle went through.

The air molecules mess up the interference pattern. That is almost too simple. Thanks.

1. What is the "2 slit trouble with vapor trails" experiment?

The "2 slit trouble with vapor trails" experiment is a famous thought experiment that explores the behavior of particles, such as light or electrons, when they pass through two narrow slits. It was first proposed by physicist Thomas Young in the early 1800s and has since been replicated many times to demonstrate the principles of wave-particle duality.

2. What does the experiment reveal about particles?

The experiment shows that particles can behave like waves, exhibiting interference patterns when passing through the two slits. This suggests that particles have a wave-like nature, in addition to their particle-like behavior. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of the "vapor trails" in the experiment?

The "vapor trails" or "interference pattern" that appears on the screen behind the two slits is a result of the waves of particles interfering with each other. This pattern is crucial in demonstrating the wave-like behavior of particles and has been observed in various experiments, including the double-slit experiment with light and electrons.

4. What are some real-world applications of this experiment?

The "2 slit trouble with vapor trails" experiment has been used to develop technologies such as electron microscopy and diffraction gratings, which are essential in fields such as medicine, material science, and engineering. It has also contributed to our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

5. Are there any variations of this experiment?

There are many variations of the "2 slit trouble with vapor trails" experiment, including the single-slit experiment, the triple-slit experiment, and the delayed-choice experiment. Each variation explores different aspects of wave-particle duality and has contributed to our understanding of the behavior of particles. These experiments continue to be an important tool in the study of quantum mechanics and its applications.