2 Time Dimension in the Quantum Realm?

In summary: There's nothing much there to refute. It isn't all that substantial, and isn't meant to be. It is a preliminary exploration of a possibility and he doesn't try to show it has any physical significance. He discusses some quite general properties. My favorite part is"there is evidence of nonlocality in the large and in the small. In the large, cosmology is dotted with disturbingly ad hoc constraints on the states of the universe, particularly the low entropy and near-homogeneity of the early universe. (These are addressed but not resolved by in‡ation, which requires its own set of …ne-tuned parameters [7].) In the small, quantum mechanics predicts non
stglyde
According to Nobel Prizer Steve Weinberg, there may a second dimension of time in the quantum realm. Instead of a particle being “spread out” occupying no address in space until the wave function is collapsed, it rather does have an address but not necessarily in our time. Is this possible? Can you refute it?

Physics news on Phys.org
stglyde said:
According to Nobel Prizer Steve Weinberg, there may a second dimension of time in the quantum realm. Instead of a particle being “spread out” occupying no address in space until the wave function is collapsed, it rather does have an address but not necessarily in our time. Is this possible? Can you refute it?

It seems possible to me. The reason I have is that for a photon the proper time goes to zero, but it still is able to change. It rotates and so forth. If it really had zero time then it could not change at all. So it is easy to imagine a second, independent dimension of time.

The trouble this sort of thing is that there is so little to go on. It seems to me that we need experiments as to what is going on on such a level of detail, and until we get those there are so many models to choose from that it is hard to proceed with confidence.

stglyde said:
Can you provide a reference for where Weinberg said this? What you wrote, "second dimension of time in the quantum realm", and "not necessarily in our time" (my bold) doesn't make any sense to me.

ThomasT said:
Can you provide a reference for where Weinberg said this? What you wrote, "second dimension of time in the quantum realm", and "not necessarily in our time" (my bold) doesn't make any sense to me.

Sorry I heard it wrong. I thought I heard Weinberg when it was Steve Weinstein in the Science Channel Morgan Freeman series "Through the Wormhole". He mentioned Steve at at 37:00 minutes at

article at http://fqxi.org/community/articles/display/139

his exact paper about it at http://www.fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/Weinstein_FQXI2.pdf

Please refute it.

Last edited by a moderator:
stglyde said:
Sorry I heard it wrong. I thought I heard Weinberg when it was Steve Weinstein in the Science Channel Morgan Freeman series "Through the Wormhole". He mentioned Steve at at 37:00 minutes at

article at http://fqxi.org/community/articles/display/139

his exact paper about it at http://www.fqxi.org/data/essay-contest-files/Weinstein_FQXI2.pdf

Please refute it.

There's nothing much there to refute. It isn't all that substantial, and isn't meant to be. It is a preliminary exploration of a possibility and he doesn't try to show it has any physical significance. He discusses some quite general properties. My favorite part is

"there is evidence of nonlocality in the large and in the small. In the large, cosmology is dotted with disturbingly ad hoc constraints on the states of the universe, particularly the low entropy and near-homogeneity of the early universe. (These are addressed but not resolved by in‡ation, which requires its own set of …ne-tuned parameters [7].) In the small, quantum mechanics predicts nonlocal entanglement between the properties of a given …field at various locations in space. It would certainly be worthwhile to explore whether nonlocal constraints might explain any of these phenomena, perhaps in conjunction with a modi…fication of the dynamical laws. The sort of constraint explored in this essay, one arising from the presence of extra time dimensions, exhibits one sort of nonlocality, but there are other sorts as well, given by constraints with di¤erent functional forms. What they have in common is that they embody what I have called “nonlocality without nonlocality”, meaning nonlocal correlations without nonlocal causation."

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of "2 Time Dimensions" in the Quantum Realm?

The concept of "2 Time Dimensions" in the Quantum Realm refers to the idea that, in certain theories of quantum mechanics, time is treated as a two-dimensional construct rather than a one-dimensional construct as we traditionally understand it. This means that instead of time being a linear progression from past to present to future, it can also have a perpendicular direction, allowing for more complex and nuanced interactions between particles.

2. How does the existence of 2 Time Dimensions affect our understanding of the Quantum Realm?

The existence of 2 Time Dimensions in the Quantum Realm challenges our traditional understanding of time and space, and requires us to reconsider our theories and models. It allows for new possibilities and behaviors of particles that were previously thought impossible, and could potentially lead to a better understanding of the fundamental nature of reality.

3. Are there any real-world implications of the concept of 2 Time Dimensions?

While the concept of 2 Time Dimensions is still a theoretical and highly debated idea in the scientific community, it has the potential to impact our understanding of the universe and could potentially have real-world implications. For example, it could potentially help us better understand phenomena such as black holes or the origins of the universe.

4. How do scientists study or test the existence of 2 Time Dimensions in the Quantum Realm?

Currently, scientists are using mathematical models and simulations to study the concept of 2 Time Dimensions in the Quantum Realm. They are also conducting experiments with quantum systems to see if they exhibit behaviors that align with the predictions of these models. However, more research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and confirm the existence of 2 Time Dimensions.

5. Could the concept of 2 Time Dimensions lead to new advances in technology?

While it is too early to tell, the concept of 2 Time Dimensions could potentially lead to new technologies in the future. Understanding the behavior of particles in the Quantum Realm, and how 2 Time Dimensions may affect them, could potentially lead to new innovations in fields such as quantum computing or energy production. However, more research and development is needed before any concrete applications can be explored.