24 divides m if n^2 -m and n^2 +m are perfect squares

• Thread starter jack476
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Squares
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in modular arithmetic and the attempt to prove that if n2 + m and n2 - m are perfect squares, then m is divisible by 24. The conversation explores different approaches, such as using the Chinese Remainder Theorem and working in modulo 3 and 8. It is also noted that the problem is related to previous parts of a larger problem. The conversation ends with a summary of the progress made so far, including the deductions that m is 0 modulo 3 and 0 modulo 4.
jack476

Homework Statement

Show that if n2 + m and n2 - m are perfect squares then m is divisible by 24.

Homework Equations

This problem comes from Larson's Problem-solving Through Problems in the section on modular arithmetic. It is the third part of a four-part problem, with the previous two parts of the problem being to prove that if x3 + y3 = z3 has a solution in integers x, y, and z then one of them is divisible by seven, and the second part to prove that if 2n + n2 is prime then n is congruent to 3 mod6. Since they're part of the same problem I assume that they are somehow relevant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to show that m is divisible by both 3 and 8. By the Chinese Remainder Theorem, I can set up the following:

m ≡ a(mod3)
m ≡ b(mod8)

And I assume that what I want to do is show that the two expressions can only be perfect squares if a = b = 0.

I don't know if any of the following actually brings me any closer to a solution, but I feel like they might be pointing in the right direction:

I can set up the following relations:

n2 + m ≡ n2(mod3) + a(mod3)
n2 + m ≡ n2(mod8) + b(mod8)
n2
- m ≡ n2(mod3) - a(mod3)
n2
- m ≡ n2(mod8) - b(mod8)

And further I can mod n out so that
n2(mod3) + a(mod3)[a(mod3)](modn), etc

I can also multiply n2 + m and n2 - m to get n4 - m 2, which gets

n4 - m 2 ≡ (-a2mod3)(modn)
n4 - m 2 ≡ (-b2mod8)(modn)

All of which I think might be useful in establishing a = b = 0, but I can't think of how to get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have ##a^{2}+b^{2}=2n^{2}##.
Note that if a and b share any common factors, so will n. So for example, if a and b are even, n will also be even and if a and b are multiples of 3, n will also be a multiple of 3. So we can start by dividing a, b, and n by the greatest common divisor (GCD) of a and b.

Working in modulo 3:
n = 0, 1, 2; so ##n^{2}## = 0, 1, 1
So the square is never 2.
##a^{2}+b^{2}=2n^{2}## becomes (0+1,1+0, or 1+1) = 0 or 2
Only the 1+1=2 solution is possible. This means that none of a, b, and n are divisible by 3.
So ##a^{2}-b^{2}=2m## becomes (1-1)=2m, so m=0 modulo 3.

Working in modulo 2:
##a^{2}=a; b^{2}=b, 2n^{2}=0##
So ##a^{2}+b^{2}=2n^{2}## becomes a+b=0 or a=b
If a and b were both even, we would reduce the problem by an even GCD. So they must be both odd.

Let ##a=2A+1; b=2B+1##
So ##2m = a^{2}-b^{2} = (2A+1)^{2}-(2B+1)^{2} = 4A^{2}+4A+1-4B^{2}-4B-1 = 4(A^{2}+A-B^{2}-B)##
So ##m = 2(A^{2}+A+B^{2}+B) = 2(A(A+1)-B(B+1))##
Since A and A+1 are consecutive number, one will be even and the product will be even. Same with B.
So (A(A+1)-B(B+1)) is even-even which is even. And m = 2(even) which is 0 modulo 4.

So I've got m modulo 12 = 0
Not quite what you need, but I hope it helps.

What do you know about perfect squares modulo 8 and modulo 3? What are the possible differences between two perfect squares modulo 8 and 3?

What does it mean for 24 to divide m?

For 24 to divide m means that m is divisible by 24 without leaving any remainder. In other words, m is a multiple of 24.

What are perfect squares?

Perfect squares are numbers that can be expressed as the product of two equal whole numbers. For example, 25 is a perfect square because it can be expressed as 5 x 5.

How do I know if n^2 -m and n^2 +m are perfect squares?

To determine if n^2 -m and n^2 +m are perfect squares, you can use the square root method. Take the square root of n^2 -m and n^2 +m separately. If the results are whole numbers, then the expressions are perfect squares.

What is the significance of n^2 -m and n^2 +m being perfect squares?

If n^2 -m and n^2 +m are perfect squares, it means that they can be written in the form of (x^2)^2 and (y^2)^2, where x and y are whole numbers. This can help in simplifying the expressions and solving for m.

What is the relevance of 24 in this problem?

The number 24 is relevant because it is the divisor in the statement "24 divides m." This means that the value of m must be a multiple of 24 in order for the statement to be true.