24 years old and want to become a physicist? Too late?

  • Topic: Physics 
  • Thread starter Thread starter scout6686
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physicist Years
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
31 replies · 35K views
24 years is neither an early nor a late age to start Ph.D. in physics. I am a Ph.D student and by the time I graduate i will be of age 30. Also, I know other graduate students in my department, and they will be of age 31 by the time that they finish their Ph.D/M.Sc degree in physics. So, go ahead and apply for the graduate schools.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hahahahaha...I started with a double major in math and physics. Had a family (and I am mom) and decided that a good job was needed. Took accounting and finished. Now that all the kids are nearly in school I will be going back to my passion. I will be 31 when I enroll for my undergrad program and at least nearing 40 when I am done with the PhD. I am in luck that the school I wish to attend offers a 2.5 year bachalors and I spend 10 to 15 hours a week on independent study to stay current with most of the math and science. MIT opencourseware is the bomb. I am also lucky to have someone beside me that encourages me to pursue my passions. You are never to old to do anything and it is never too late to change your mind. I think the emotional maturity and patience that I have gained in the last 6 years as a parent have allowed me to better understand concepts that eluded me in the past.

Good luck and happy pursuits :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Kevin Willis