1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2D Doppler Shift / Relative Velocities

1. Mar 18, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to adapt the doppler shift formula for a stationary listener and a source traveling in a straight line towards/away from the listener to the case where the source does not move straight towards the listener. For example, suppose that I am looking north and train further in the distance moves from west to east.

The frequency factor in the 1D case is [itex]\frac{v}{v - 333m/s}[/itex]. The only thing that changes in the 2D case is that we can't no longer use the absolute velocity v of the source, but have to use the relative velocity with respect to the listener. But this is where I'm stuck: How do I compute this relative velocity when the listener is stationary? Wouldn't that mean that v[itex]_{rel}[/itex] = v[itex]_{abs}[/itex] - 0 = v[itex]_{abs}[/itex]? That obviously can't be true.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook