1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 2D Fourier transform of Coulomb potenial

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    The result is well known, but i need more details about the integral below
    [tex]
    \int \mathrm{d}^2x \frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}|} e^{- \mathrm{i} \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{x}} = \frac{2 \pi}{q}[/tex]

I've done the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential in 3D. But failed to get the right answer in 2D.

I did only a few practice about 2D integrals. Will anyone show me more details about it?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, what did you try? Show us your attempt.

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    A little too long, and no latex in this computer.

So, i upload a screenshot in the attachment.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• ss.jpg
      ss.jpg
      File size:
      41.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:yuck:Yuck!:wink:

I wouldn't write the complex exponential in terms of sines and cosines if I were you. Instead, just switch to polar coordinates right away (with your coordinate system chosen so that [itex]\textbf{q}[/itex] points in the positive x-direction) to get:

[tex]\oint d^2 x \frac{e^{-i\textbf{q}\cdot\textbf{x}}}{|\textbf{x}|}=\int_0^\infty dr \left(\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-iqr\cos\theta}d\theta \right)[/tex]

If you don't immediately recognize the angular integral, try defining [itex]\overline{r}=qr[/itex] and compute the first two derivatives of the integral w.r.t [itex]\overline{q}[/itex] to show that it satisfies a well known differential equation....:wink:

6. Jun 15, 2010 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Also, unlike the 3D case, the integral converges without treating the coulomb potential as a limiting case of the Yukawa potential.

7. Jun 15, 2010 #6
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure whether you want me to do the second derivatives of the angular integral w.r.t [itex]\overline{r}=qr[/itex] or something else. If i havent misunderstood, i'm sorry to tell you that i really dont know what the well known differential equation is.....

Would you give me a little more details? Thanks a lot!

8. Jun 15, 2010 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, I'll tell you that [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-i\overline{r}\cos\theta}d\theta=2\pi J_0(\overline{r})[/tex]....as for proving it, I'll leave that to you (Hint: What differential equation does the [itex]n=0[/itex] Bessel function of the 1st kind satisfy?)...

9. Jun 16, 2010 #8
    Thank you very much!!!!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook