2D Fourier transform of Coulomb potenial

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 26K views
realtrip
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
The result is well known, but i need more details about the integral below
[tex] \int \mathrm{d}^2x \frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}|} e^{- \mathrm{i} \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{x}} = \frac{2 \pi}{q}[/tex]

I've done the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential in 3D. But failed to get the right answer in 2D.

I did only a few practice about 2D integrals. Will anyone show me more details about it?

Thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
realtrip said:
The result is well known, but i need more details about the integral below
[tex] \int \mathrm{d}^2x \frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}|} e^{- \mathrm{i} \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{x}} = \frac{2 \pi}{q}[/tex]

I've done the Fourier transform of the Coulomb potential in 3D. But failed to get the right answer in 2D.

Well, what did you try? Show us your attempt.
 
A little too long, and no latex in this computer.

So, i upload a screenshot in the attachment.

Thanks!
 
Attachments
  • ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4,268
Yuck!:wink:

I wouldn't write the complex exponential in terms of sines and cosines if I were you. Instead, just switch to polar coordinates right away (with your coordinate system chosen so that [itex]\textbf{q}[/itex] points in the positive x-direction) to get:

[tex]\oint d^2 x \frac{e^{-i\textbf{q}\cdot\textbf{x}}}{|\textbf{x}|}=\int_0^\infty dr \left(\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-iqr\cos\theta}d\theta \right)[/tex]

If you don't immediately recognize the angular integral, try defining [itex]\overline{r}=qr[/itex] and compute the first two derivatives of the integral w.r.t [itex]\overline{q}[/itex] to show that it satisfies a well known differential equation...:wink:
 
Also, unlike the 3D case, the integral converges without treating the coulomb potential as a limiting case of the Yukawa potential.
 
Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure whether you want me to do the second derivatives of the angular integral w.r.t [itex]\overline{r}=qr[/itex] or something else. If i haven't misunderstood, I'm sorry to tell you that i really don't know what the well known differential equation is...

Would you give me a little more details? Thanks a lot!
 
Well, I'll tell you that [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} e^{-i\overline{r}\cos\theta}d\theta=2\pi J_0(\overline{r})[/tex]...as for proving it, I'll leave that to you (Hint: What differential equation does the [itex]n=0[/itex] Bessel function of the 1st kind satisfy?)...