Converting an expression of a particular k-mode to the spatial domain

In summary: Therefore, in summary, the equation $n_\vec{k} = \omega a^2(\vec{k})$ can be written as a convolution of the inverse Fourier transforms of $n(\vec{x})$ and $a(\vec{x})$.
ian_dsouza
Homework Statement
This is a problem in cosmology but I'll boil it down to the math. $n(\vec{x})$ is the (spatial) number density of particles. By the Fourier transform, $$n(\vec{x}) = \int\mathrm{d}^3k\ n_\vec{k}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}$$. Also, $a(\vec{x})$ is the field representing the particle (a concept stemming from quantum field theory). By the Fourier transform, $$a(\vec{x}) = \int\mathrm{d}^3k\ a(\vec{k}) e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}$$.

It is known that $$n_\vec{k} = \omega a^2(\vec{k})$$, where $$\omega = \frac{k}{R}$$ and $R$ is a function of time only. I want to find an expression for $n(\vec{x})$ in terms of $a(\vec{x})$ and I was wondering if someone could help me out.
Relevant Equations
$$n(\vec{x}) = \int\mathrm{d}^3k\ n_\vec{k}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}$$
$$a(\vec{x}) = \int\mathrm{d}^3k\ a(\vec{k}) e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}$$
$$n_\vec{k} = \omega a^2(\vec{k})$$
$$\omega = \frac{k}{R}$$
$$n_\vec{k} = \omega a^2(\vec{k})\tag{1}$$
One way is to write the inverse Fourier transforms of the terms above. So, eqn (1) becomes
$$\int\mathrm{d}^3x\ n(\vec{x})e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}} = \omega \int\mathrm{d}^3x^\prime\ a(\vec{x^\prime})e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x^\prime}} \int\mathrm{d}^3x^{\prime\prime}\ a(\vec{x^{\prime\prime}})e^{-i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x^{\prime\prime}}}$$
But I don't know how to proceed from here.

On the other hand, I could multiply both sides of eqn (1) by $$e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}e^{i\vec{k^\prime}\cdot\vec{x}}$$ and first writing $$a^2(\vec{k}) = a(\vec{k})a(\vec{k^\prime})$$ (don't know if this is right though).
$$n_\vec{k}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}e^{i\vec{k^\prime}\cdot\vec{x}} = \omega a(\vec{k})a(\vec{k^\prime})e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}e^{i\vec{k^\prime}\cdot\vec{x}}$$
Integrating with respect to $\vec{k}$ and $\vec{k^\prime}$
$$\int\mathrm{d}^3k\ n_\vec{k}e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}\int\mathrm{d}^3k^\prime\ e^{i\vec{k^\prime}\cdot\vec{x}} = \omega \int\mathrm{d}^3k\ a(\vec{k})e^{i\vec{k}\cdot\vec{x}}\int\mathrm{d}^3k^\prime\ a(\vec{k^\prime})e^{i\vec{k^\prime}\cdot\vec{x}}$$
$$n(\vec{x})\delta^3({\vec{x}}) = \omega a^2(\vec{x})$$
But this isn't the answer I am looking for either and I suspect I am doing something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse Fourier transform of a product is a convolution.

1. What is the process of converting an expression of a particular k-mode to the spatial domain?

The process of converting an expression of a particular k-mode to the spatial domain involves using mathematical equations and techniques to transform the expression from the frequency domain (k-space) to the spatial domain (real space). This allows for a better understanding of the physical characteristics and behavior of the system being studied.

2. Why is it important to convert an expression from k-mode to the spatial domain?

Converting an expression from k-mode to the spatial domain is important because it helps to visualize and interpret the data in a more intuitive way. It also allows for easier comparison with experimental data and can provide insights into the underlying physical processes of the system.

3. What are some common techniques used to convert expressions from k-mode to the spatial domain?

Some common techniques used to convert expressions from k-mode to the spatial domain include Fourier transforms, inverse Fourier transforms, and wavelet transforms. Other methods such as Laplace transforms and z-transforms may also be used depending on the specific application.

4. Are there any limitations to converting expressions from k-mode to the spatial domain?

Yes, there are some limitations to converting expressions from k-mode to the spatial domain. These limitations may include the complexity of the system being studied, the accuracy of the data, and the assumptions made during the conversion process. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when interpreting the results.

5. Can expressions be converted directly from k-mode to the spatial domain without any loss of information?

No, converting expressions directly from k-mode to the spatial domain may result in some loss of information. This is because the two domains are not equivalent and there may be some information lost during the conversion process. However, with careful consideration and use of appropriate techniques, this loss of information can be minimized.