2fer: Infinite Line and Plane Energy Field

In summary, the first problem involves a 10 cm long charged glass rod and a small glass bead, and the task is to find the force on the bead. Using the equations E = K2A/r and F = Eq, we can calculate the electric field and force on the bead. However, the answer obtained does not match the book's answer. The second problem involves two 10 cm diameter charged disks facing each other and the task is to find the electric field and force on a -1nC charge placed at the midpoint. The equations used are E = n2K(pi) and F = Eq. However, the answer obtained for the electric field does not match the book's answer.
Rettro
Got some help with my first problem here, so let's give it a go with the other 2 that stump me. The chapter is on point, infinite line, infinite plane, and parallel plate capacitors, so the line is treated as infinite and the plates are treated as infinite planes.

Homework Statement

A 10 cm long thin glass rod is uniformly charged to +40nC. A small glass beat, charged to +6nC, is 4cm from the center of the rod. What is the force (magnitude and direction) on the bead?

Homework Equations

E = K2A/r
F = Eq
A = q/L
(Note, A represents the traditional symbol Lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

A = 40E-9C / 0.1m
A = 4E-7 C/m

E = (9E9 Nm^2/C^2)(2)(4E-7 C/m) / 0.04m
E = (7,200 Nm/C) / 0.04m
E = 180,000 N/C

F = (180,000 N/C)(6E-9C)
F = 0.00108N away = 1.08E-3 N away

Book Answer = 8.4E-4N away

Obviously 1.08E-3 N away /= 8.4E-4N away

Second Problem:

Homework Statement

Two 10 cm diameter charged disks face each other, 20 cm apart. The left dist is charged to -50nC and the right dist is charged to +50nC.
a) What is the electric field E both magnitude and direction at the midpoint between the two disks?
b) What is the force F on a -1nC charge placed at the midpoint?

Homework Equations

E = n2K(pi)
n = q/A
A = Area

The Attempt at a Solution

20cm apart is far too far for a parallel plate capacitor, so I treated it as two planes.

n = 50E-9C / 0.0025(pi) m^2
n = 2E-5/(pi) C/m^2 =~ 6.37E-6 C/m <-- I deal with the pi version, habit

E1 = (2E-5/(pi) C/m^2)(2)(pi)(9E9 Nm^2/C^2)
E1 = 3.6E-13 N/C left <-- See how the pi goes away, cleaner that way

Logically, E2 = E1, E = E1+E2, E = 2E1
E = 7.2E-13 N/C left <-- answer to a)

F = (7.2E-13 N/C)(1E-9 C)
F = 7.2E-22 N right <-- answer to b)

Book answers are:
a) 7.6E4 N/C left
b) 7.6E-5 N right

I understand the left and right, and how the answer to b is equal to a E-9, but how they got that for a is beyond me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rettro said:
E = K2A/r
F = Eq
A = q/L
(Note, A represents the traditional symbol Lambda)

This is the formula for an infinite line charge. 10 cm is far from infinite, so you'll need to use integration to get the answer.
20cm apart is far too far for a parallel plate capacitor, so I treated it as two planes.

As soon as you begin treating finite plates as planes, you *are* dealing with a parallel plate capacitor. The derivations of all equations relating to the parallel plate capacitor treats the plates as two planes, in exactly the way you have done.

n = 50E-9C / 0.0025(pi) m^2
n = 2E-5/(pi) C/m^2 =~ 6.37E-6 C/m <-- I deal with the pi version, habit

E1 = (2E-5/(pi) C/m^2)(2)(pi)(9E9 Nm^2/C^2)
E1 = 3.6E-13 N/C left <-- See how the pi goes away, cleaner that way

Check your algebra. You have the right formula, but messed up somewhere in the calculation.

The problem I have with integrating is that this chapter is supposed to be about points and infinite features, in fact integration to find electric field doesn't show it's ugly head until chapter 30, this is chapter 27, and only chapters 27 and 29 are on the test. To be perfectly honest I haven't figured out how to derive for field yet or even tried because of this fact.

The second problem, I did have an error, but repairing and re-doing treating it as a parallel plate capacitor yielded the same answer, 7.2 x10^5 N/C for A, which is closer but still not correct.

n = 50E-9 C / 0.0025(pi) m^2
n = 6.3662E-6 C/m^2

E = n/eo
E = 6.3662E-6 C/m^2 / 8.85E-12 C^2/Nm^2
E = 719,344 N/C = 7.2E5 N/C
Correct = 7.6E4 N/C

1. What is "2fer: Infinite Line and Plane Energy Field"?

"2fer: Infinite Line and Plane Energy Field" refers to a theoretical concept in the field of physics that proposes the existence of an infinite line and plane that can generate and store energy. It is still a subject of ongoing research and has not been proven to exist in reality.

2. How does this energy field work?

The exact mechanism of how the energy field works is not fully understood yet. However, some theories suggest that the infinite line and plane act as conductors and create a flow of energy through the field, similar to how an electrical circuit works.

3. What is the significance of this concept?

If proven to exist, the "2fer: Infinite Line and Plane Energy Field" could have significant implications in the field of sustainable energy. It could potentially provide a limitless source of energy that is clean and renewable, without the need for traditional energy sources like fossil fuels.

4. Is there any evidence to support the existence of this energy field?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the existence of the "2fer: Infinite Line and Plane Energy Field". However, some experiments and observations have shown promising results that warrant further investigation.

5. How can this concept be applied in real-life situations?

If the "2fer: Infinite Line and Plane Energy Field" is proven to exist, it could have numerous practical applications in various industries such as energy production, transportation, and communication. It could also potentially revolutionize the way we think about and use energy in our daily lives.