2nd law of rotation, merry go round

In summary: I get 8 kgm^2so I (alpha) = .08 F1r - F2r = .08 F2 = -.3 NCorrect numbers, but be careful with your signs. The net torque is positive, so F_2 should be positive (in the opposite direction of F_1).In summary, a uniform disk with a radius of 2.00 cm and a mass of 20.0 grams is initially at rest. Two forces, F1 and F2, are applied tangentially to the rim at t = 0 and t = 1.25s respectively, causing the disk to have an angular velocity of 250rad/s counterclock
Ready2GoXtr

Homework Statement

http://ready2goxtr.googlepages.com/problem1052.jpg

A uniform disk that can rotate around its center like a merry-go-round. The disk has a radius of 2.00 cm and a mass of 20.0 grams and is initially at rest. Starting at time t = 0 two forces are to be applied tangentially to the rim as indicated, so at time t = 1.25s the disk has an angular velocity of 250rad/s coutnerclockwise. Force F1 has a magnitude of .100 N. What is the magnitude of F2.

Homework Equations

T(net) = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\alpha[/tex] t <---- Equation 2

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 2.00cm = .2m m = 20.0g = .02kg t = 1.25s [tex]\omega[/tex] = 250 rad/s

Using equation 2 I find [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 200 rad/ s^2

I did try one way converting [tex]\alpha[/tex] into a linear acceleration by multiplying it by r Then said that F1 + F2 = ma

Didnt work =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Ready2GoXtr said:
I did try one way converting [tex]\alpha[/tex] into a linear acceleration by multiplying it by r Then said that F1 + F2 = ma

Didnt work =(

I would try to go the other way around, convert everything to rotation terms: you know [tex]\tau_{net} = I \alpha[/tex] so [tex]F_1 r - F_2 r = I \alpha[/tex].

Ready2GoXtr said:
Using equation 2 I find [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 200 rad/ s^2
Good.
Don't convert anything. What net torque is required to produce such an angular acceleration? (What's the rotational inertia of the disk?)

How do i find the rotational inertia of the disk, its uniform, so does mr^2 work?

or is it... 1/4 mr^2

Ready2GoXtr said:
How do i find the rotational inertia of the disk, its uniform, so does mr^2 work?

or is it... 1/4 mr^2
Don't just guess. Look it up!

It just gives it to me in x y and z components.

I think its 1/2 mr^2 in which ase I = .0004 so I (alpha) = .08

F1r - F2r = .08
F2 = -.3 N

Ready2GoXtr said:
I think its 1/2 mr^2 in which ase I = .0004
Correct formula, but recheck your arithmetic.

1. What is the 2nd law of rotation?

The 2nd law of rotation, also known as the law of angular momentum, states that an object's angular momentum will remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

2. How does this law apply to a merry go round?

When a merry go round is spinning, it has angular momentum that is created by the rotation of the platform and the riders. As long as there is no external torque, the merry go round will continue spinning at a constant rate.

3. What happens if an external torque is applied to a merry go round?

If an external torque, such as a person pushing on the edge of the platform, is applied to a merry go round, the angular momentum will change. This can cause the merry go round to speed up, slow down, or change direction.

4. Can the 2nd law of rotation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the 2nd law of rotation can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when riding a bicycle, the spinning wheels have angular momentum that keeps them moving and balanced. Similarly, a figure skater uses this law to maintain their balance and momentum while spinning on the ice.

5. How does the 2nd law of rotation relate to conservation of energy?

The 2nd law of rotation is closely related to the law of conservation of energy. Since angular momentum is a form of energy, the 2nd law of rotation states that this energy will remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that energy is conserved in rotational motion, just as it is in linear motion.