2nd law of rotation, merry go round

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 10K views
Ready2GoXtr
Messages
74
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


http://ready2goxtr.googlepages.com/problem1052.jpg

A uniform disk that can rotate around its center like a merry-go-round. The disk has a radius of 2.00 cm and a mass of 20.0 grams and is initially at rest. Starting at time t = 0 two forces are to be applied tangentially to the rim as indicated, so at time t = 1.25s the disk has an angular velocity of 250rad/s coutnerclockwise. Force F1 has a magnitude of .100 N. What is the magnitude of F2.


Homework Equations


T(net) = I[tex]\alpha[/tex]
[tex]\omega[/tex] = [tex]\alpha[/tex] t <---- Equation 2



The Attempt at a Solution


r = 2.00cm = .2m m = 20.0g = .02kg t = 1.25s [tex]\omega[/tex] = 250 rad/s

Using equation 2 I find [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 200 rad/ s^2

I did try one way converting [tex]\alpha[/tex] into a linear acceleration by multiplying it by r Then said that F1 + F2 = ma

Didnt work =(
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ready2GoXtr said:
I did try one way converting [tex]\alpha[/tex] into a linear acceleration by multiplying it by r Then said that F1 + F2 = ma

Didnt work =(

I would try to go the other way around, convert everything to rotation terms: you know [tex]\tau_{net} = I \alpha[/tex] so [tex]F_1 r - F_2 r = I \alpha[/tex].
 
Ready2GoXtr said:
Using equation 2 I find [tex]\alpha[/tex] = 200 rad/ s^2
Good.
I did try one way converting [tex]\alpha[/tex] into a linear acceleration by multiplying it by r Then said that F1 + F2 = ma
Don't convert anything. What net torque is required to produce such an angular acceleration? (What's the rotational inertia of the disk?)
 
How do i find the rotational inertia of the disk, its uniform, so does mr^2 work?


or is it... 1/4 mr^2
 
Ready2GoXtr said:
How do i find the rotational inertia of the disk, its uniform, so does mr^2 work?


or is it... 1/4 mr^2
Don't just guess. Look it up!
 
I think its 1/2 mr^2 in which ase I = .0004 so I (alpha) = .08


F1r - F2r = .08
F2 = -.3 N
 
Ready2GoXtr said:
I think its 1/2 mr^2 in which ase I = .0004
Correct formula, but recheck your arithmetic.