2nd order non-homogenous differentila equation

• Thread starter ofarook81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2nd order
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a second order ordinary differential equation and finding the solution in the form of an integral. The solution involves a function G(t) and the value of ω. The conversation also mentions finding the step response and using Laplace transform to find the solution if the input function is Laplaceable.
ofarook81
I have to start from a simple 2nd order ordinary deifferential equation as:

y’’+2ξωny’+ω2y = F

The solution should be of the form

y = ∫F(Ω) G(t - Ω) dΩ (integral from 0-t)

where

G(t) = 1/ω * e^(-ξωnt)sin(ξt) for ξ<1

G(t) = e^(-ωnt) for ξ=1

G(t) = 1/ω * e^(-ξωnt)sinh(ξt) for ξ>1

and

ω = ωn√|1-ξ^2|

n in ωn is subscript.

Any help in this regard will be highly gratified.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you want to do?

I have to start from a simple 2nd order ordinary deifferential equation as:

y’’+2ξωy’+ω[tex]^{2}_{n}[/tex]y = F

The solution should be

y = ∫F(Ω) G(t - Ω) dΩ (integral from 0-t)

G(t) and ω is given in my first post.

Can u help. If u can give me ur email i will email u the problem in a better readable manner.

Thanks a lot for your concern.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you are trying to do but I'm pretty sure the problem is not properly stated.
By convolution, G(t) must be the impulse response of the second order LTI system which implies [tex]G^{''}+2 \zeta \omega _{n} G^{'} + \omega _{n}^{2} G=\delta (t)[/tex]

The stated G(t) are wrong for *all* cases (underdamped, critically-damped, and overdamped). i.e for the underdamped case, the damped rad freq should be omega_d, not zeta; in critically-damped case, the response is not a monotone function.

Solve the G(t) correctly first. It can be done by finding the step response first then take a time derivative of the step response.

If F(t) is LapLaceable, using Laplace transform to find y(t) is usually easier.

1. What is the definition of a 2nd order non-homogenous differential equation?

A 2nd order non-homogenous differential equation is an equation that involves the second derivative of a function, as well as other terms that are not equal to zero. These other terms typically include constants, variables, and other functions.

2. How is a 2nd order non-homogenous differential equation different from a 2nd order homogenous differential equation?

A 2nd order homogenous differential equation has all terms equal to zero, except for the second derivative of the function. This means that only the function and its derivatives are present in the equation. On the other hand, a 2nd order non-homogenous differential equation has additional terms that are not equal to zero, making it a more complex equation to solve.

3. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order non-homogenous differential equations?

2nd order non-homogenous differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other sciences to model systems that involve acceleration, such as motion of objects under the influence of forces.

4. How do you solve a 2nd order non-homogenous differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order non-homogenous differential equation, one method is to use the method of undetermined coefficients, where you assume a particular form for the solution and then solve for the coefficients. Another method is using variation of parameters, where you assume a general solution and then solve for the parameters.

5. What are some common techniques for solving 2nd order non-homogenous differential equations?

In addition to the method of undetermined coefficients and variation of parameters, other techniques for solving 2nd order non-homogenous differential equations include using Laplace transforms, power series solutions, and numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.