2nd order nonhomogeneos differential equations with initial conditions

In summary: If you're having trouble with these calculations, I suggest you review the method of undetermined coefficients and go through it step by step. There are also plenty of resources online that can help you with this method.In summary, the problem involves finding the particular solution to a non-homogeneous differential equation with initial conditions. The general solution to the homogeneous equation is found using the method of undetermined coefficients and then substituted into the original equation to solve for the particular solution. The values for A, B, C, and D are found by equating the coefficients of each term on both sides of the equation. It is important to be careful with the calculations and to review the method of undetermined coefficients if needed.
pedro123

Homework Statement

The problem states

d^2y/dt^2 +15y= cost4t + 2sin t

initial conditions y(0)=y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I have is this r^2+15=0

making r(+-)=√15

and making yh= C1cos√15+C2√15

the next part includes solve for the nonhomogenous equation

cos4t + 2sint

but here is where I can't come with the particular solution can it be

yp= Acos2t +B sin2t

Physics news on Phys.org
pedro123 said:

Homework Statement

The problem states

d^2y/dt^2 +15y= cost4t + 2sin t

initial conditions y(0)=y'(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I have is this r^2+15=0

making r(+-)=√15
No, r = ±√(-15) = ±i√(15).

But rather than working with eit√15 and e-it√15, it's much easier to work with cos(t√(15)) and sin(t√(15)).
pedro123 said:
and making yh= C1cos√15+C2√15
See above.

What would you have for yh, considering the corrections I made?
pedro123 said:
the next part includes solve for the nonhomogenous equation

cos4t + 2sint

but here is where I can't come with the particular solution can it be

yp= Acos2t +B sin2t

No, these won't work. You'll need four expressions for your particular solution, not two.

So yh= cos(t√(15)) + sin(t√(15))

and now I need to use the method of undetermined cooficients to come with a particular solution.

is Yp= Acos 2t +B sin 2t

Yp'=-2Asin 2t + 2B cos 2t
Yp''= -4Acos 2t - 4B sin 2t

right or did I make mistake and if it is right

it will make

d^2y/dt^2 +15Yp= -4Acos 2t - 4B sin 2t + 15 Acos 2t +15B sin 2t

d^2y/dt^2 +15Yp= 11cost + 11sint

is the particular solution right

pedro123 said:
So yh= cos(t√(15)) + sin(t√(15))

That is still not the full general solution to the homogeneous equation.

and now I need to use the method of undetermined cooficients to come with a particular solution.

is Yp= Acos 2t +B sin 2t

Yp'=-2Asin 2t + 2B cos 2t
Yp''= -4Acos 2t - 4B sin 2t

right or did I make mistake and if it is right

it will make

d^2y/dt^2 +15Yp= -4Acos 2t - 4B sin 2t + 15 Acos 2t +15B sin 2t
Could you explain more what you are doing here? In particular why are substituting a form where the argument of sin is 2t?

Your non-homogeneous part has sin(t) and sin(4t). Those do NOT "combine" to give sin(2t).
Look for a solution of the form A sin(t)+ B cos(t)+ C sin(4t)+ D cos(4t).

so you mean for the nonhomegenous part

yp=A sin(t)+ B cos(t)+ C sin(4t)+ D cos(4t).
yp'=A cos(t) - B sin(t) + 4C cos (4t) + - 4D sin (4t)
yp''= -A sin(t) - B cos(t) - 16C sin(4t) - 16D cos(4t)

Yes. Now substitute yp and its derivatives into your diff. equation to solve for A, B, C, and D.

For your general solution you will also need yh, which wasn't right in post #3.

so you mean Yp''-Yp'+15Yp=cost4t to solve

-A sin(t) - B cos(t) - 16C sin(4t) - 16D cos(4t) + 15A sin(t)+ 15B cos(t)+ 15C sin(4t)+ 15D cos(4t) = cos (4t ) + 2 sin(t)

-14 A sin(t) +14 B cos(t) -C sin(4t) -D cos(4t) = cos (4t) + 2 sin t

-C = 1 = -1

-D = 1 = -1

-14A = 1 = -1/14

14B = 1 = 1/14

are all these values for A B C and D right and my differential equation

pedro123 said:
so you mean Yp''-Yp'+15Yp=cost4t to solve

-A sin(t) - B cos(t) - 16C sin(4t) - 16D cos(4t) + 15A sin(t)+ 15B cos(t)+ 15C sin(4t)+ 15D cos(4t) = cos (4t ) + 2 sin(t)

-14 A sin(t) +14 B cos(t) -C sin(4t) -D cos(4t) = cos (4t) + 2 sin t

-C = 1 = -1

-D = 1 = -1
Don't write things like the above. You're saying that -C is equal to 1 and that 1 is equal to -1, which isn't true. You should write something like this
-C = 1, so C = -1
or
-C = 1 ##\Rightarrow## C = -1

pedro123 said:
-14A = 1 = -1/14

14B = 1 = 1/14

are all these values for A B C and D right and my differential equation
I don't know - check them and see.

If yp = (-1/14)sin(t) + (1/14)cos(t) - sin(4t) - cos(4t),
what is yp'' + 15yp? It better be equal to cos(4t) + 2sin(t).

1. What is a 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

A 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function, as well as the function itself and its first derivative. It is considered nonhomogeneous because it contains terms that are not equal to zero.

2. How are initial conditions used in solving 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equations?

Initial conditions are used to determine the specific solution to a 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation. These conditions provide values for the function and its derivative at a specific point, which can be used to find the particular solution that satisfies the given equation.

3. What is the general form of a solution to a 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

The general form of a solution to a 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation is y = yh + yp, where yh is the solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation and yp is a particular solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous equation.

4. How do you solve a 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients?

To solve a 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, the method of undetermined coefficients is often used. This involves finding a particular solution by guessing a form for yp and then substituting it into the equation to solve for the coefficients.

5. What are some real-world applications of 2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equations?

2nd order nonhomogeneous differential equations have many applications in science and engineering, such as modeling the motion of a spring-mass system, predicting population growth, and analyzing electrical circuits. They are also used in fields like economics, biology, and chemistry to study various phenomena and make predictions.