2nd order ODE boundary value constant input-- stuck

In summary, you tried to solve an equation using a new variable W=u+A, but found that the equation was a trivial solution because of the boundary conditions. If you plug U=-C*cos(sqrt(s)x) into the equation, x=nπ if sqrt(s)=1,2,3.. but x <1, so you don't think this is viable. You need to use Laplace transform or something to solve the equation.
fahraynk

Homework Statement

Uxx - SU = A ; 0<x<1
Boundary conditions :
Ux(0) = 0
U(1) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set a new variable W = u + A, I can get rid of the A in the main equation and U(1) becomes = 1.
If I set U= C*esqrt(S)x into the equation, its a trivial solution because of the boundary conditions C=0
If I plug U= -C*cos(sqrt(s)x) in, x=nπ if sqrt(s)=1,2,3.. but x <1, so I don't think this is viable...

How do I go about solving this analytically? Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need to use Laplace transform or something?
Books answer = (A/S) * (cosh(x√s)-1)/cosh(√s)

Physics news on Phys.org
fahraynk said:

Homework Statement

Uxx - SU = A ; 0<x<1
Boundary conditions :
Ux(0) = 0
U(1) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to set a new variable W = u + A, I can get rid of the A in the main equation and U(1) becomes = 1.
If I set U= C*esqrt(S)x into the equation, its a trivial solution because of the boundary conditions C=0
If I plug U= -C*cos(sqrt(s)x) in, x=nπ if sqrt(s)=1,2,3.. but x <1, so I don't think this is viable...

How do I go about solving this analytically? Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need to use Laplace transform or something?
Books answer = (A/S) * (cosh(x√s)-1)/cosh(√s)

You have made several errors.

The DE reads as ##D_x^2 U -S(U + A/S)=0##, so ##v = U +A/S## satisfies the homogeneous equation ##D_x^2 v = Sv##. What do the boundary conditions on ##U## become for ##v##? How can you determine the constants ##a,b## so that
$$ v = a \cosh(x \sqrt{S}) + b \sinh(x \sqrt{S})$$
satisfies the boundary conditions?

Likes fahraynk
Your first approach (using Ray's notation), with ## v = ce^{\sqrt{s}x} ## was two or so steps away from being equivalent to Ray's. From the characteristic equation ##k^{2} - s = 0## you have two solutions, ##k = +\sqrt{s}## and ##k = -\sqrt{s}##. That means your general solution is a linear combination of both, ##v = c_{1} e^{\sqrt{s}x} + c_{2} e^{-\sqrt{s}x}##. Notice what happens when you plug that solution into the boundary condition ##v'(0) = 0##, and keep in mind that ##cosh(x) = \frac{1}{2} (e^{x} + e^{-x})##. It doesn't matter if you use the combination of exponentials I suggested or the combinations of cosh and sinh that Ray suggested. They give the same result, once you convert between the two with the identity I mentioned.

Likes fahraynk
Thanks, got it.

1. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It includes terms involving the second derivative of the function, making it a second order ODE.

2. What are boundary value conditions?

Boundary value conditions are constraints or conditions that are imposed on the solution of a differential equation at the boundaries of the independent variable. They are used to determine a unique solution to the differential equation.

3. What does it mean to be "stuck" on a 2nd order ODE boundary value problem?

Being "stuck" on a 2nd order ODE boundary value problem means that you are having difficulty finding a solution to the problem. This could be due to a variety of factors such as complex boundary conditions, lack of knowledge or understanding of the problem, or difficulty in applying the appropriate mathematical methods.

4. How does a constant input affect a 2nd order ODE boundary value problem?

A constant input in a 2nd order ODE boundary value problem refers to a constant term that is added to the equation. This can affect the solution in various ways depending on the specific problem, but it generally makes the problem more complex and requires additional techniques to solve.

5. What are some techniques for solving a 2nd order ODE boundary value problem with a constant input?

Some common techniques for solving a 2nd order ODE boundary value problem with a constant input include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and Laplace transforms. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and choose the most appropriate method for finding a solution.