1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order ODE boundary value constant input-- stuck

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Uxx - SU = A ; 0<x<1
    Boundary conditions :
    Ux(0) = 0
    U(1) = 0
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to set a new variable W = u + A, I can get rid of the A in the main equation and U(1) becomes = 1.
    If I set U= C*esqrt(S)x into the equation, its a trivial solution because of the boundary conditions C=0
    If I plug U= -C*cos(sqrt(s)x) in, x=nπ if sqrt(s)=1,2,3.. but x <1, so I dont think this is viable...

How do I go about solving this analytically? Can someone point me in the right direction? Do I need to use Laplace transform or something?
    Books answer = (A/S) * (cosh(x√s)-1)/cosh(√s)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have made several errors.

The DE reads as ##D_x^2 U -S(U + A/S)=0##, so ##v = U +A/S## satisfies the homogeneous equation ##D_x^2 v = Sv##. What do the boundary conditions on ##U## become for ##v##? How can you determine the constants ##a,b## so that
    $$ v = a \cosh(x \sqrt{S}) + b \sinh(x \sqrt{S})$$
    satisfies the boundary conditions?

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3

Twigg

Gold Member

Your first approach (using Ray's notation), with ## v = ce^{\sqrt{s}x} ## was two or so steps away from being equivalent to Ray's. From the characteristic equation ##k^{2} - s = 0## you have two solutions, ##k = +\sqrt{s}## and ##k = -\sqrt{s}##. That means your general solution is a linear combination of both, ##v = c_{1} e^{\sqrt{s}x} + c_{2} e^{-\sqrt{s}x}##. Notice what happens when you plug that solution into the boundary condition ##v'(0) = 0##, and keep in mind that ##cosh(x) = \frac{1}{2} (e^{x} + e^{-x})##. It doesn't matter if you use the combination of exponentials I suggested or the combinations of cosh and sinh that Ray suggested. They give the same result, once you convert between the two with the identity I mentioned.

5. Aug 19, 2016 #4
    Thanks, got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted