Solving Laplace Equations using this boundary conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation Uxx + Uyy = 0 and its domain of solution. The speaker explains their method of separation of variables and solutions for different values of k. They also mention using Fourier series to find coefficients, but are confused about the result. The expert summarizes the conversation, noting that the speaker's working is confusing and that they should use cosines instead of sines.
astrodeva
The equation is Uxx + Uyy = 0
And domain of solution is 0 < x < a, 0 < y < b
Boundary conditions:
Ux(0,y) = Ux(a,y) = 0
U(x,0) = 1
U(x,b) = 2

What I've done is that I did separation of variables:
U(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)

Plugging into the equation gives:
X''Y + XY'' = 0

Rearranging:
X''/X = -Y''/Y = k

For case k > 0, I saw that it gives no non-trivial solutions.
For case k = 0, I solved it and found U(x,y) = y/b + 1

For case k < 0, I'm slightly lost.
X'' + kX = 0
Y'' - kX = 0

upload_2016-4-9_12-32-57.png

Using the X boundary conditions:
upload_2016-4-9_12-33-41.png

upload_2016-4-9_12-34-11.png

Using the Y boundary condition:
upload_2016-4-9_12-34-47.png

Using Fourier Series to find the coefficient:
upload_2016-4-9_12-34-59.png

But the integral just gives Dn = 0, and this doesn't satisfy u(x,0) = 1.

Can someone explain where I went wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• upload_2016-4-9_12-34-29.png
    upload_2016-4-9_12-34-29.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 238
  • upload_2016-4-9_12-34-45.png
    upload_2016-4-9_12-34-45.png
    1 KB · Views: 419
Physics news on Phys.org
Your working is confusing.

If you start with [itex]X'' = kX[/itex] and want [itex]k < 0[/itex], you should then be writing [itex]\sin(\sqrt{|k|}x)[/itex] and so forth, or defining [itex]k = -c^2[/itex] where [itex]c \geq 0[/itex].

You want to be using cosines, which in fact you end up doing, but only after expressly stating that [itex]X_n = A_n\sin(n\pi x/a)[/itex].

Now the cosine expansion of [itex]1[/itex] on [itex][0,a][/itex] is [itex]\cos(0x)[/itex]. Thus you have correctly determined that all the other coefficients vanish.

1. What is a Laplace equation and what does it represent?

A Laplace equation is a type of partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a scalar field in a given region. It is used to solve problems in physics, engineering, and mathematics, and represents a state of equilibrium where the forces acting on a system are balanced.

2. What are boundary conditions and why are they important in solving Laplace equations?

Boundary conditions are constraints that are imposed on the solution of a differential equation at the boundary of a given region. In the context of solving Laplace equations, they define the behavior of the scalar field at the edges of the region and are crucial in determining a unique solution.

3. How do you solve Laplace equations using boundary conditions?

To solve Laplace equations using boundary conditions, you need to first define the problem and identify the boundary conditions. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or numerical methods to obtain a solution that satisfies both the equation and the given boundary conditions.

4. Can Laplace equations with different boundary conditions have multiple solutions?

Yes, in some cases, Laplace equations with different boundary conditions can have multiple solutions. This is because there can be more than one combination of solutions that satisfy the given equation and boundary conditions. In such cases, additional constraints or information may be needed to determine the unique solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Laplace equations using boundary conditions?

Solving Laplace equations using boundary conditions has many practical applications in various fields, including heat transfer, electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and structural analysis. Some examples include predicting the temperature distribution in a heated plate, determining the electric field around a charged object, and analyzing air flow around an aircraft wing.