2nd order pole while computing residue in a complex integral

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the residue of a function with a second-order pole. The standard method is to use Taylor's theorem and then divide by the denominator to get the residue.
Karthiksrao
Hello,

I am trying to understand how to get the residue as given by wolfram :

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=residue+of+e^{Sqrt[x^2+++1]}/(x^2+++1)^2

The issue I am facing is - since it is a second order pole, when I try to different e^{\sqrt{x^+1}} I get a \sqrt{x^+1} in the denominator. And hence I cannot substitute x = i to get the residue. How do I deal with a pole which comes about on differentiating?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard way to deal with a second-order pole is to expand the nominator using Taylor's theorem around the pole. Dividing by the denominator will give you the value of the residue. Take the pole at z=i: [itex]e^{\sqrt{z^{2}+1}}=e^{0}+f_{1}(z)(z-i)+f_{2}(z)(z-i)^{2} [/itex]. Dividing by [itex] (z-i)^{2}[/itex], we get [itex]\frac{e^{\sqrt{z^{2}+1}}}{(z-i)^{2}}=\frac{e^{0}}{(z-i)^{2}}+\frac{f_{1}(z)}{(z-i)}+f_{2}(z) [/itex]. So, f1(i) is the residue at z=i.

1. What is a 2nd order pole while computing residue in a complex integral?

A 2nd order pole is a singularity in a complex function that has a pole of order 2. This means that the function has a double pole at that point, which can cause difficulties in computing the residue using the standard formula.

2. How do you identify a 2nd order pole in a complex function?

A 2nd order pole can be identified by finding the point where the function becomes infinite, or has a vertical asymptote. This can also be determined by looking at the Laurent series expansion of the function, where a double pole will have a term with a coefficient of 1/z^2.

3. What is the formula for computing the residue at a 2nd order pole?

The formula for computing the residue at a 2nd order pole is given by Res[f, z0] = lim(z->z0) [(d/dz)^2 (z-z0)^2 f(z)], where z0 is the point of the pole. This formula takes into account the double pole and calculates the residue accordingly.

4. Are there any special techniques for computing residues at 2nd order poles?

Yes, there are special techniques for computing residues at 2nd order poles. One method is to use the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which states that the residue at a pole of order n can be calculated by taking the (n-1)th derivative of the function and evaluating it at the pole point. Another method is to use the Laurent series expansion of the function and then apply the formula for computing the residue at a simple pole.

5. Can a 2nd order pole be avoided or removed in a complex integral?

In some cases, it is possible to avoid or remove a 2nd order pole in a complex integral. This can be done by using techniques such as contour deformation or partial fraction decomposition to manipulate the integral and remove the pole. However, in some cases, the pole cannot be avoided and must be taken into account when computing the residue.