Complex analysis: residue integration question

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of an integral and the computation of residues using a formula. However, the formula used was incorrect, leading to incorrect residues. The correct method is to write the function as a product and find the coefficient of the desired term in the expansion. This approach eliminates the need to memorize formulas and reduces the likelihood of errors.
Wheelwalker
I'm asked to evaluate the following integral: [itex]\int_{c} \frac{30z^2-23z+5}{(2z-1)^2(3z-1)}dz[/itex] where c is the unit circle. This function has a simple pole at [itex]z=\frac{1}{3}[/itex] and a second order pole at [itex]z=\frac{1}{2}[/itex], both of which are within my region of integration. I then went about computing the residues using the following formula (which I, mistakenly perhaps, thought was general and applied to any mth-order pole): [itex]Res f(z) = \frac{1}{(1-1)!}\lim_{z \to 1/2}{\frac{d}{dz}\{[2z-1]^2 \frac{30z^2-23z+5}{(2z-1)^2(3z-1)}}\}[/itex] for which I got 2 (this was just the residue for the first pole). The residue I got for the other singularity was 6. They are supposed to be 1/2 and 2, respectively. What am I doing wrong, exactly? Does this residue formula not apply to this case? If so, why not? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you should have used is $$
Res f(z) = \frac{1}{(2-1)!}\lim_{z \to 1/2}{\frac{d}{dz}\{[z-\dfrac{1}{2}]^2 \frac{30z^2-23z+5}{(2z-1)^2(3z-1)}}\}
$$
That is why you got 2=4(1/2) instead of 1/2 and 6=3*2 instead of 2

Oh, wow that makes a lot of sense. I got in the habit of multiplying [itex] f(z_0)[/itex] by whichever term was creating the singularity in the denominator because a lot of the first problems we did would have something simple like [itex](z-1)[/itex] there. So then, [itex] (z-z_0) [/itex] would equal exactly what was there. Anyway, thank you so much!

Ah, and yes that factorial term definitely should have been [itex] (2-1)![/itex], although of course it doesn't matter in this case.

One more question for you actually. So, is this the most general residue formula? This should apply to nearly any case?

I am not very good at computations, but I am getting residues opposite to what you seem to say, i.e. res = 1/2 at z=1/2, and res = 2 at z= 1/3.

My reasoning is as follows: the residue at a, is the coefficient of 1/(z-a) in the Laurent expansion in powers of (z-a). So at z= 1/3 we should have 1/(z-1/3) . g(z), where g(z) = (30z^2 -23z + 5)/3(2z-1)^2. Then when we expand g in powers of (z-1/3), the constant term will be the residue, i.e. the coefficient of 1/(z-1/3) after we multiply by the 1/(z-1/3) out front. so this is just g(1/3) = (30/9 - 23/3 + 5)/3(1/3)^2 = 2.

Then for the other one, at z= 1/2, the function can be written as 1/(z-1/2)^2 h(z), where h(z) = (30z^2-23z+5)/4(3z-1). then the residue after multiplying by the factor 1/(z-1/2)^2, will be the linear coefficient of the expansion of h(z), i.e. should be the derivative of h(z). By the quotient rule, this is (1/4)(7/2 - 3)/(1/4) = (1/8)/(1/4) = 1/2.Am I missing something? My point in doing it this way is to emphasize not memorizing formulas. but going back to the meaning of the concept. But of course one wants to get it right, and I am not super confident after apparently getting a different answer. Or maybe I just misunderstood what was said.

Those are the correct residues. I made a mistake in finding them the first time.

Thank you. My recommended point of view, as I said, is to write the function as a product of form 1/(z-a)^m . g(z), where g is holomorphic at a.

Then we want the coefficient of (z-a)^(m-1) in the Taylor expansion of g. this is of course just g^(m-1)(a) /(m-1)!, i.e. the (m-1) st derivative of g at a, divided by (m-1)!I suggest this because your error was apparently in recalling the residue formula incorrectly. I hope this method makes that less likely, since all you have to recall this way is that you want the coefficient of 1/(z-a). In the product 1/(z-a)^m . g(z), that will be the coefficient of (z-a)^(m-1) in the expansion of g.

1. What is complex analysis and why is it important?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of complex numbers. It is important because it allows us to extend the concepts and techniques of calculus to functions of a complex variable, which has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. What is a residue in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, a residue is a complex number that represents the coefficient of the term with a negative power in the Laurent series expansion of a function. It is used to evaluate complex integrals and has many applications in solving problems involving complex functions.

3. How do you integrate using residues?

To integrate using residues, you first need to identify the poles of the function within the contour of integration. Then, you calculate the residues at each pole and use them to evaluate the integral using the residue theorem. This involves finding the sum of the residues within the contour, which can be done by using Cauchy's residue theorem or by using the Cauchy integral formula.

4. What are some applications of residue integration?

Residue integration has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It can be used to solve problems involving complex functions, such as evaluating complex integrals, calculating residues at singularities, and finding the residues of a function at infinity. It is also used in signal processing, control theory, and other areas of mathematics.

5. Can residues be negative?

Yes, residues can be negative. In fact, residues can have any complex value, depending on the function and the pole where it is evaluated. The sign of a residue does not affect its applications, as it is used to evaluate integrals and does not have a physical meaning on its own.