1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2pi rotation of angular momentum eigenket

1. Mar 28, 2015 #1

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that ## e^{2\pi i \mathbf{n\cdot J}/\hbar} |j,m\rangle = (-1)^{2j}|j,m\rangle ##. This equation is from Ballentine's QM book. The term in front of the ket state in the LHS is a rotation operator through ##2\pi## angle about an arbitrary direction ##\mathbf{n}##.

2. Relevant equations
    Above

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can prove this for spin one half particle using the identity ## (\mathbf{ \sigma \cdot n})^2 = 1##, but not for an arbitrary j. Does he simply quote this from the result of E. P. Wigner's work, as also stated in the book?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my edition of Ballentine (1st edition), he outlines the proof in the remaining part of the paragraph where the equation is given. I think I follow his argument. See if you can pinpoint where you have difficulty with his reasoning.

4. Mar 28, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On a second thought it makes sense if I visualize it as a vector in R3 rotated about arbitrary direction by ##2\pi##, it should go back to its original position. But it becomes a somewhat delicate issue for half-integer spin states. Maybe I should go through the entire section first and see if it proves also for half-integer spins.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted