3 consecutive loops with one being moved from the other two. Len'z Law

• Thread starter ohsocheezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Loops
In summary, when a current flows anticlockwise in the middle loop and the loop moves towards the observer with a velocity of v ms^-1, the induced currents in Loops A and B will be in the opposite direction. Loop A will have an induced current flowing anticlockwise, while Loop B will have an induced current flowing clockwise. This follows Lenz's Law, where the induced currents will oppose the change in the magnetic field caused by the middle loop's movement.
ohsocheezy

Homework Statement

Three wire loops and an observer are positioned as shown in the figure below.
From the observer’s point of view, a current I flows anticlockwise in the middle
loop as that loop moves towards the observer with a velocity of v ms^-1

zvwwv4.jpg

Loops A and B remain stationary.

In what direction are the induced currents in Loops A and B

Homework Equations

None, use Lenz's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the right hand grip rule for solenoids, i got the effective N pole of the middle loop to be directed to the left, i.e directed towards the observer.

So Loop A would want to create a N pole in the direction of the middle loop to oppose the change, which using the right hand grip rule for solenoids again, means the current would be flowing anticlockwise.

Loop B would want to create a S pole to oppose the change made by the effective south pole of the middle magnet moving away from it. So the induced current would also be clockwise.

I really don't have much of a clue whether I am right, i tried to give it to my teacher but he's worse at physics than half of our class so that was a bit pointless. Anyway any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's a N pole on the left side of the middle loop you would want a N pole on the right side of loop A and the left side of loop B.

1. What is Len'z Law?

Len'z Law, also known as Lenz's Law, is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that describes the direction of induced current in a conductor. It states that the direction of the induced current will be such that it creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

2. What is meant by "3 consecutive loops with one being moved from the other two"?

This phrase refers to a scenario where three loops of wire are placed in close proximity to each other, and one of the loops is moved away from the other two. This movement causes a change in the magnetic field, which in turn induces a current in the other two loops according to Len'z Law.

3. How does Len'z Law apply to the scenario of 3 consecutive loops with one being moved from the other two?

Len'z Law applies to this scenario by determining the direction of the induced current in the two stationary loops. The current will flow in a direction that creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the magnetic field caused by the movement of the third loop.

4. What is the significance of the induced current in this scenario?

The induced current in this scenario is significant because it creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the magnetic field caused by the movement of the third loop. This opposition is important in maintaining the stability and balance of the system.

5. How is Len'z Law used in practical applications?

Len'z Law is used in various practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and motors. Its application ensures the efficient transfer of energy and the prevention of damage to the system due to sudden changes in magnetic fields.