3-dimensional parametric equations

In summary: I'll get back to you when I have a question.Thanks for now!In summary, 3-dimensional parametric equations are equations that express the coordinates of a point in a 3D-coordinate system using a single parameter. Examples of these equations can be found in real-world phenomena such as solar winds, aurorae, and the movement of particles inside a Tokamak. These equations can also describe more simple motions such as straight lines or projectile motion, as well as more complex motions like helixes. For further examples and understanding, one can refer to a Calculus 3 book or a book on Electricity and Magnetism.
JolleJ
3-dimensional parametric equations [Updated]

Look lower for update...

Homework Statement

Well, my problem is that I need to give some examples on 3-dimensional parametric equations. So far I've found out what parametric equations are, and more specifically what 3-dimensional parametric equations are. But now I am being asked to give some real-world examples of these.

Homework Equations

A 3-dimensional parametric equations is an equation of something in a 3d-coordinate system, where each coordinate x,y,z are expressed by the same parameter t: x(t) = f1(t) ^ y(t) = f2(t) ^ z(t) = f3(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, so far I've found out that Solar Winds, Aurorae and the movement of the plasma inside a Tokamak are all 3-dimensional parametric equations. My problem is that while I know that the movements can be expressed by 3-dimensional parametric equations, I have absolutely no idea how these equations look like. I've searched all around the Internet, but I can't find any equations for this - or anything at all that looks like it.

I hope you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Update:
I have now advanced a bit, and acutally found a simulation of the particles moving inside a tokamak, which shows that the particles drift up or down depending on their charge q. So now I have a new problem:

Homework Statement

My problem is now that I do understand the mathematics / physics equations used in the simulations.
The simulations starts with introducing all the varibles and functions:
Code:
B0:=1
v,m:=1,.01
x,y,z:=3,0,0
vx,vy,vz:=v,v*q,0
t,dt:=0,.01
Integratemethod:=RK4
func det(a,b,c,d)
return a*d - b*c
endfunc
func R(x,y)
return (x^2+y^2)
endfunc 
func acc(va,vb,ba,bb)
return (va*bb-vb*ba)/m
endfunc 
func Bx(x,y,z)
return y*B0/R(x,y)
endfunc
func By(x,y,z)
return -x*B0/R(x,y)
endfunc
func Bz(x,y,z)
return 0
endfunc
Model tokamak
x':=vx
y':=vy
z':=vz
vx':=q*det(vy,vz,By(x,y,z),Bz(x,y,z))/m
vy':=q*det(vz,vx,Bz(x,y,z),Bx(x,y,z))/m
vz':=q*det(vx,vy,Bx(x,y,z),By(x,y,z))/m
endmodel

After this, it makes a loop which constantly calculates the integrated function of "tokamak" (why this?). And after this adding the timedifference dt to the time variable t:
Loop:
Code:
integrate tokamak(t,dt)
t:=t+dt

Homework Equations

I can see the that function det, is finding the determinant, though I do not know why this is relevant.
All of it is something with vectors, but I am not sure how.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried looking at it so long, but I am not good enough at vectors and integration yet, so I simply cannot see excacly what is going on.

I really hope that one of you can open my eyes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Movement inside a Tokamak will be a complicated example of a 3-dimensional parametric equation. Basically any 3-D motion can be parametrized. A particle moving in a straight line, for example, would follow a motion of [tex]f(t) = at\mathbf{i} + bt\mathbf{j} + ct\mathbf{k}[/tex] where a, b, and c are constants and i, j, and k are x, y, and z coordinate directions, respectively. The familiar example of projectile motion could be described as [tex]f(t) = at\mathbf{i} + bt\mathbf{j} - gt^2 \mathbf{k}[/tex].

Other, more complicated examples, could be a helix [tex]s(t) = Rcos(t)\mathbf{i} + Rsin(t)\mathbf{j} + ct\mathbf{k} [/tex].

If you know Calc 1, you could find a Calc 3 book that will have some good examples of 3-D parametric equations.

Mindscrape said:
Movement inside a Tokamak will be a complicated example of a 3-dimensional parametric equation. Basically any 3-D motion can be parametrized. A particle moving in a straight line, for example, would follow a motion of [tex]f(t) = at\mathbf{i} + bt\mathbf{j} + ct\mathbf{k}[/tex] where a, b, and c are constants and i, j, and k are x, y, and z coordinate directions, respectively. The familiar example of projectile motion could be described as [tex]f(t) = at\mathbf{i} + bt\mathbf{j} - gt^2 \mathbf{k}[/tex].

Other, more complicated examples, could be a helix [tex]s(t) = Rcos(t)\mathbf{i} + Rsin(t)\mathbf{j} + ct\mathbf{k} [/tex].

If you know Calc 1, you could find a Calc 3 book that will have some good examples of 3-D parametric equations.

Thank very, very much. In reality I would some advanced examples of 3d parametric equations, like the Tokamak. Any chance that I can find some equations for it somewhere?

When you say Calc 3, do you mean Calculus 3?

Updated my question...

:rofl:
JolleJ said:
Thank very, very much. In reality I would some advanced examples of 3d parametric equations, like the Tokamak. Any chance that I can find some equations for it somewhere?

When you say Calc 3, do you mean Calculus 3?

What do you think, of course he means calc 3. :rofl: I mean, calculus 3. What country are you in? here in the states schools break down Calculus into 3 parts, 1, 2 , 3. 3 is vector Calculus.

Well I'm from from Denmark:tongue2: And here, we certainly do not split the subjects up like that...:uhh: But now I know. Thanks:wink:

You don't know what a 3-D parametric equation is but you understand advanced examples? In the United States, we split Calculus into derivatives, integrals and series, and multivariate calculus.

If you want some more "advanced" examples, you might try looking in a book on Electricity and Magnetism.

Mindscrape said:
You don't know what a 3-D parametric equation is but you understand advanced examples? In the United States, we split Calculus into derivatives, integrals and series, and multivariate calculus.

If you want some more "advanced" examples, you might try looking in a book on Electricity and Magnetism.

I know what 3-d parametric equations are, but having a hard time finding some good examples.

Anyway, I'm still trying to crack trhough the code...

Is that a pseudocode or a specific program code? As far as I can tell, it is a code applied to a specific example, with conditions that are predetermined (uniform magnetic field perpindicular to a plane, a given B-field magnitude, and other such things).

The loop at the end probably starts at t=0 (right?) and numerically integrates the functions up top (declared under tokamak) for each small incremental t (known as dt, and probably also defined elsewhere), then loops through all the way until a certain time t=t_final. This will give an approximate function of position, since it will give points of position along each incremental dt.

What are 3-dimensional parametric equations?

3-dimensional parametric equations are mathematical equations that describe the coordinates of a point in space using parameters. They can be written in the form of x = f(t), y = g(t), z = h(t), where t is the parameter and x, y, and z are the coordinates of the point.

How are 3-dimensional parametric equations different from 2-dimensional parametric equations?

3-dimensional parametric equations involve three variables, x, y, and z, while 2-dimensional parametric equations only involve two variables, x and y. This means that 3-dimensional parametric equations describe points in a three-dimensional space, while 2-dimensional parametric equations describe points in a two-dimensional plane.

What is the purpose of using 3-dimensional parametric equations?

3-dimensional parametric equations are used to describe the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create three-dimensional shapes and objects.

How do you graph 3-dimensional parametric equations?

To graph 3-dimensional parametric equations, you can plot points by choosing different values for the parameter t and then connecting the points. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to create a 3-dimensional graph.

What is the relationship between 3-dimensional parametric equations and vectors?

3-dimensional parametric equations can be written in vector form as r(t) = < x(t), y(t), z(t) >. This means that each coordinate is a function of the parameter t, and the vector r(t) represents the position of the point in three-dimensional space. Vectors are useful in understanding the direction and magnitude of motion described by 3-dimensional parametric equations.