1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 Examples of jobs related to the interference of light

1. Feb 8, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find 3 careers that are in some way related to the interference of light. Give a brief description of each career.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My examples are X-ray Technician, Photonics Engineering and Optical Physics.

My question is, is optical physicist/physics and actual career? I'm not to sure as it sounds more like a course/class than a career (I don't mean to sound offensive, I'm just uneducated in the world of physic careers. I hope you can understand.)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Optical physicist is certainly a career, but your 3 answers don't seem right to me.

The question asks specifically about interference of light, not just light in general. What technologies use the interference of two light (or other EM) beams? I can think of a few. Think of the technologies first, and then you can figure out what careers/jobs involve their use. :smile:

4. Feb 8, 2017 #3
    Ohh you're right!

Hmmm can you clarify what EM stands for? I have an idea what it might stand for but I just want to make sure (Electro magnetic? )

What do you think about Electrical Engineering, Optometry and Ophthalmology?

5. Feb 8, 2017 #4

berkeman

Yes, EM just means electromagnetic. Although re-reading your OP, it does appear that they want to constrain it to light frequencies, and not microwaves, for example.

The careers you list may indeed work with the interference of light, but they are way to broad. I doubt that you will have your answer marked as correct if you post such broad career categories.
    Start by answering this question. What technologies involve the interference of light? You could even try a Google Images search on Interference of Light to see if that helps you to get started... :smile:

6. Feb 8, 2017 #5

berkeman

And then what other search terms should you add in to find instruments that use the interference of light? :smile:

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6
    Do you think about Holography, Photography and Lighting engineers?

8. Feb 8, 2017 #7

berkeman

That's one! (not so much the other two) But Holography is an application that uses the interference of light. What career might use Holography?

9. Feb 8, 2017 #8
    Hmmm wouldn't banks use holography to prevent counterfeiting money I would put banks

CD/DVD use holography to play the songs/ movies
    Game consoles would be another one too but I guess that would fit along side CD/DVDs

So to sum it up, Mints/Banks and CD/DVD/ Video game industry

10. Feb 8, 2017 #9

berkeman

That sounds like a good example of a career that uses light interference. :smile:
    I don't think that is true, but I could be missing something.

What other light interference applications did you find beyond Holography? There are some pretty cool ones that could earn you extra points if you can find them...

11. Feb 8, 2017 #10
    Hmm would everyday stores count? I mean bar code scanners use lasers to scan the bar codes of items.

I think this is a good one, I thought of it when I thought of the bank- counter fit money,

Home land security-the creation of passports. We can't have counterfeit passports going around as that would cause a lot of danger.

12. Feb 8, 2017 #11

berkeman

AFAIK, barcode scanners do not use interference.
    Again, I would look for other applications beyond holography. There are a number of other applications of light interference that are not holography.

What did you find in your Google Images search of Interference of Light and its uses in Instruments?

13. Feb 8, 2017 #12
    I got a lot of "Light source, double slit screen etcetc" images, a camera lens, and a polarized light microscope

14. Feb 8, 2017 #13

berkeman

That's a good 2nd application. What careers would use this instrument?

15. Feb 8, 2017 #14
    Ahh forensic scientists!

16. Feb 8, 2017 #15

berkeman

Interesting, I did not know that. :smile:

17. Feb 8, 2017 #16
    Haha neither did I until today.

So I guess to sum things up, Holography, Forensic Science,

Should I add in the Bank/Mints as my 3rd example?

18. Feb 8, 2017 #17

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted