3 Multiple Choice - Circuits/Waves

In summary, 18. The largest difference between the two frequencies is the correct explanation for the first question. 22. Greater resistance means less power output in the equation P=IV=V^2/R. 23. In parallel circuits, the more resistors added, the smaller the equivalent resistance. The top bulb remains unchanged with the closed/open switch and the current flow and equivalent resistance also change.
planauts
Hi, I have three M.C. questions. The answers to these questions are A, D, C.

I am not exactly sure why exactly those are the correct answer (I guessed for the first one and happened to be right).

Homework Statement

[URL]http://ploader.net/files/1ddefae5044a52afb36b512bc019aaf5.PNG[/URL]
Source: IB Examination May 2000 P1 Timezone 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

18. I guessed because it had the largest difference between the two frequencies. But I don't know if that is the correct explanation.

22. Clearly, my answer is in reverse order to the correct answer. I thought greater resistance means temperature is higher. Series has the greatest Resistance, which means that it should be used for high power. But clearly, that is not the correct answer.

23. I guessed D. I had trouble calculating what the question meant by open and closed. The wording in the question seemed awkward and I got it wrong because of that. If someone could guide me, it would be really nice. (I think you are supposed to use P=VI=V^2/R = RI^2.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
18. That is the correct explanation
22. P=IV=V^2/R. Because of this, assuming that the voltage is constant, the greater the resistance, the less power output.
23. The top bulb would be unchanged, because the same amount of current leaves it. Its hard to explain For bulb 2, but it has to do with the fact that in parallel the more resistors are added, the smaller the equivalent resistance

zush said:
23. The top bulb would be unchanged, because the same amount of current leaves it. Its hard to explain For bulb 2, but it has to do with the fact that in parallel the more resistors are added, the smaller the equivalent resistance

Think it over. Does the same current flow through the top bulb with closed/open switch? Is the equivalent resistance unchanged?

ehild

1. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches. This means that in a series circuit, the current is the same through each component, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between the branches.

2. How does the voltage affect the brightness of a light bulb in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit is directly proportional to the brightness of a light bulb. This means that as the voltage increases, the brightness of the light bulb will also increase. However, if the voltage is too high, it can cause the light bulb to burn out.

3. What is the difference between mechanical waves and electromagnetic waves?

Mechanical waves require a medium, such as air or water, to travel through, while electromagnetic waves can travel through a vacuum. Mechanical waves move by causing particles in the medium to vibrate, while electromagnetic waves move through the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields.

4. How does the frequency of a wave affect its wavelength?

The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of wave / frequency.

5. What is the difference between transverse and longitudinal waves?

In transverse waves, the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of the wave, while in longitudinal waves, the particles move parallel to the direction of the wave. Examples of transverse waves include light and water waves, while examples of longitudinal waves include sound waves.