1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 Point Charge Coulomb's Law problem

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3 Point charges are fixed in place in a right triangle. What is the electric force on the +1.0 nanoC charge due to the other two charges?

Basically you have 3 charges in a right angle as decribed, lets call them A, B, and C. In the upper left you have A, +0.8 nanoC. 8cm directly below is B, -0.6 nanoC. To the right of B at unkown distance is C, +1.0 nanoC. the distance AC is given as 10 cm.

So what is the electric force on charge C?

2. Relevant equations

I know I need Coulomb's Law. FE=k[tex]\bullet[/tex]q1[tex]\bullet[/tex]q2/d2

3. The attempt at a solution

so first i convert all charges from nanoC to C to make things easier so the charges are:

A= 8e-7
    B=-6e-7
    C=1e-6

then i use pathagreom's theorum to find the distance BC, which is 0.06m.

Then I draw all the Force components on point C.

First I solve for FB using Coulomb's Law and get 1.5N in the -x direction.

This seems to fine. I get stuck when trying to get the forces between point A and C...

I can get the angles... sin-1(0.06/0.1)= 37 degrees.

but i honestly have no clue what to do next, and have been scouring resources on the net for a solution and finally ended up here, still with no answer... please help!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2009 #2
    hey thanks for everyone who looked at my question. i finally figured out the answer though! the net electric force on C should be 1.2 N at 28 degrees from the negative x axis

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook