3-Step Process of a Simple RC Circuit with Battery and an Open Switch

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 4K views
jan2905
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
The following 3 step process refers to a simple RC circuit with a battery and an initially open switch:

1- the switch is closed, allowing the capacitor to charge;
2- after the capacitor has charged, a slab of dielectric material is inserted between the plates of the capacitor and time passes;
3- the switch is opened, and the dielectric removed.



Q(capacitor)=CV(capacitor)
PE(capacitor)=1/2 CV^2


I said that: delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0

correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
When you are putting the dielectric in the capacitor, you are effectively increasing the capacitance by the relationship that C/Co = ε the dielectric constant for the material, where ε > εo

As to your answers, I don't really know what the question is.

I would point out in step 3 that since the charge remains the same, but the capacitance is now influenced by εo instead of the higher ε of the removed dielectric, that the voltage will drop across the cap.
 
My question is whether or not the change in PE of the capacitor would reflect my "answer:" delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0 (the numerals are respective of the steps)
 
jan2905 said:
My question is whether or not the change in PE of the capacitor would reflect my "answer:" delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0 (the numerals are respective of the steps)

I guess I don't really understand your notation.

I just described what happens.
 
LowlyPion said:
I would point out in step 3 that since the charge remains the same, but the capacitance is now influenced by εo instead of the higher ε of the removed dielectric, that the voltage will drop across the cap.

:confused: You decrease ε so you increase V according to pion's equation and physical intuition - you would need a higher voltage to establish that charge without the dielectric!?
 
yeah, that is what my answer shows right? a drop in V means a drop in PE. so PE final - PE initial < 0 ?
 
epenguin said:
:confused: You decrease ε so you increase V according to pion's equation and physical intuition - you would need a higher voltage to establish that charge without the dielectric!?

That's correct. I misstated it in typing it.

Thanks for catching that.
 
jan2905 said:
soooooo, i am correct?

No. I misstated my original description.

The equations were right. My English description was wrong.
 
ay... i don't understand what happens then. this is my logic:

1- capacitor is charging (PE final is greater than PE initial therefore deltaPE>0)
2- capacitor has dielectric inserted (PE final is greater than PE initial because dielectric allows more capacitance therefore deltaPE>0)
3- capacitor no longer charging and dielectric is removed (PE final is less that PE initial because capacitor is now able to discharge therefore deltaPE<0)
 
jan2905 said:
ay... i don't understand what happens then. this is my logic:

1- capacitor is charging (PE final is greater than PE initial therefore deltaPE>0)
2- capacitor has dielectric inserted (PE final is greater than PE initial because dielectric allows more capacitance therefore deltaPE>0)
3- capacitor no longer charging and dielectric is removed (PE final is less that PE initial because capacitor is now able to discharge therefore deltaPE<0)

3 does not correspond to 3 of your first post. Switch stays open, the charge has to stay there ideally. Yes, if the switch is then closed the capacitor will largely discharge.
 
yes 3 is the same on both posts:

3 (first post): the switch is opened, and the dielectric removed.
3 (last post): capacitor no longer charging [the switch is opened] and dielectric is removed

I am restating my logic. Is this correct? Anyone!

delta=final-initial; numerals correspond to the steps.

delta(PE)1>0; delta(PE)2>0; delta(PE)3<0