3D cad for piping and systems recommendation

In summary, the person is looking for a 3D cad to help with designing industrial gas piping systems. They are impressed with the demo for Solidworks' LINK product, but are concerned about the price and the availability of the software in their country.
edssupp
Hi everyone, as the title says, I am looking for a 3D cad to help visualise designs in piping systems and cut down errors.

As a short background, I work in a small company which occasionally designs industrial gas pipings for pneumatic systems, gas delivery systems (to a lab, workshop, etc), and basically assemblies of gas systems. As we only do small scale projects so far, I have only ever used 2D cad, and have absolutely 0 experience with 3D cad (aside from sketchup, but it's more of a sketching and layout tool anyway).

I've done some googling, and I'm impressed with Solidworks' demo for oil and gas LINK. However, SWX is expensive, and being in a developing country doesn't help much with my budget. I'm also looking at AVICAD with the Mech-Q plugin, but I haven't been able to find any reviews or anything.

So does anyone have any experience with the AVICAD? I'm looking for more info before I sink my time to learning it. Or do you guys have other recommendations for it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know about the others. I bought TurboCad because it costs about $35. Apparently it will do just about anything that any other program will, but I'm having a hell of a time learning the 3D aspects of it. That's because of my own limitations, though, not those of the software.

Thanks for the reply. How did you get Turbocad for $35? The cheapest option they have right now is the 2D only, and it's at $150?

I might be confused about the price. It originally got my attention because it was $35, but that might have been the 2D version. The 3D might have been $65; I can't really remember. Anyhow, it was on eBay from a certified vendor. (ie: it's under warrantee and I get free tech support.)

Hello,

I would recommend exploring other options before investing in a costly software like Solidworks. There are several 3D CAD programs available that are specifically designed for piping and system design. Some popular options include AutoCAD Plant 3D, Bentley AutoPIPE, and Intergraph CADWorx. These programs offer specialized tools and features for creating detailed and accurate designs for piping systems.

In addition, I would suggest reaching out to other professionals in your industry and asking for their recommendations or experiences with different 3D CAD programs. This can give you a better understanding of which software may be the best fit for your specific needs and budget.

It is also important to consider the learning curve and training resources available for each program. As a small company, it may be beneficial to choose a software that is more user-friendly and has readily available tutorials and support.

In terms of AVICAD, I cannot provide a personal recommendation as I have not used it myself. However, I would suggest researching online for reviews and reaching out to the company for a demo or trial version to test it out before committing to it.

Overall, my recommendation would be to carefully evaluate your options and consider your specific needs and budget before investing in a 3D CAD program for piping and system design. Best of luck in your search.

1. What is 3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation?

3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation is a software tool that allows engineers and designers to create detailed 3D models of piping and systems for various industries such as oil and gas, chemical, and manufacturing. It helps in designing, analyzing, and visualizing complex piping systems before they are constructed in the real world.

2. How does 3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation benefit engineers and designers?

3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation provides a more efficient and accurate way of designing and analyzing piping and systems. It allows engineers and designers to detect and resolve potential issues in the design phase, reducing the chances of errors and rework. It also helps in creating detailed documentation and streamlining the overall design process.

3. What industries commonly use 3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation?

3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation is widely used in industries such as oil and gas, chemical, pharmaceutical, food and beverage, water treatment, and HVAC. It is also used in the design of building systems for construction projects.

4. Can 3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation integrate with other software?

Yes, most 3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation software can integrate with other software such as project management tools, analysis software, and document management systems. This integration allows for a more seamless and efficient design process.

5. How does 3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation improve the overall design process?

3D CAD for piping and systems recommendation allows for a more collaborative design process, as multiple engineers and designers can work on the same model simultaneously. It also provides a more visual and realistic representation of the design, making it easier to detect and resolve any design issues. This ultimately leads to a more efficient and cost-effective design process.