Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D cad for piping and systems recommendation

1. Nov 29, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone, as the title says, I am looking for a 3D cad to help visualise designs in piping systems and cut down errors.

As a short background, I work in a small company which occasionally designs industrial gas pipings for pneumatic systems, gas delivery systems (to a lab, workshop, etc), and basically assemblies of gas systems. As we only do small scale projects so far, I have only ever used 2D cad, and have absolutely 0 experience with 3D cad (aside from sketchup, but it's more of a sketching and layout tool anyway).

I've done some googling, and I'm impressed with Solidworks' demo for oil and gas LINK. However, SWX is expensive, and being in a developing country doesn't help much with my budget. I'm also looking at AVICAD with the Mech-Q plugin, but I haven't been able to find any reviews or anything.

So does anyone have any experience with the AVICAD? I'm looking for more info before I sink my time to learning it. Or do you guys have other recommendations for it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2014 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know about the others. I bought TurboCad because it costs about $35. Apparently it will do just about anything that any other program will, but I'm having a hell of a time learning the 3D aspects of it. That's because of my own limitations, though, not those of the software.

4. Nov 30, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the reply. How did you get Turbocad for $35? The cheapest option they have right now is the 2D only, and it's at $150?

5. Dec 1, 2014 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I might be confused about the price. It originally got my attention because it was $35, but that might have been the 2D version. The 3D might have been $65; I can't really remember. Anyhow, it was on eBay from a certified vendor. (ie: it's under warrantee and I get free tech support.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook