1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3D harmonic oscillator- expected value of distance

1. Jun 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey! I got this problem about 3D harmonic oscillator, here it goes:
    A particle can move in three dimensions in a harmonic oscillator potential
    ##V(x,y,z)=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2(x^2+y^2+z^2)##. Determine the ground state wave function. Check by explicitly counting that it is properly normalized.
    Calculate the expectation value ##<r>##, where ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}## is a distance to the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\alpha=\sqrt{\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}}##
    ##\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}##
    ##V(x,y,z)=\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2(x^2+y^2+z^2)##
    ##\psi(x,y,z)==X(x)Y(y)Z(z)##
    ##-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m}[\frac{\xi^2\psi}{\xi x^2}+\frac{\xi^2\psi}{\xi y^2}+\frac{\xi^2\psi}{\xi z^2}]+\frac{k}{2}(x^2+y^2+z^2)\psi=E\psi##
    ##E_x+E_y+E_z=E##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I pretty much calculated the wave function for the ground state, and it came out to be equal to ##\psi_0(x,y,z)=(\frac{\alpha}{\pi})^\frac{3}{4} exp(-\alpha (x^2+y^2+z^2))##
    with energy equal to ##\frac{3}{2}\hbar\omega##. I don't understand what do they mean by explicitly calculating proper normalization, and I have trouble with calculating the expectation value for the distance from the point of origin. My first guess was to do this:
    ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty}\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi^{*}(x,y,z) r \psi(x,y,z)\,dx\,dy\,dz.## But it was quite a while since I've done multpile integrals, so I used wolframalpha for this:
    http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?...)^(3/4))*exp(-a(x^2+y^2+z^2)(1/2)))^2)+dxdydz
    I am pretty shure that notation is wrong, but you probably get my point. I don't know if my way of thinking is correct. Help?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2013 #2
    In general: [itex] < ψ_{i} | ψ_{j} > = δ_{ij}. [/itex]
    Use the normalization condition [itex] ∫^{\infty}_{-\infty}dxdydz|ψ(x,y,z)|^{2}=1 [/itex] to check the ground state is properly normalized.

To calculate [itex] < r > [/itex] use spherical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted