1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

-4+2y=0 and y=2x comes from Eigenvectors

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    I don't understand where -4+2y=0 and y=2x comes from
    Is it obtained after finding the determinant or are the equations reconstructed that the matrix was created from?
    http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/eigen1.jpg [Broken]

I also don't understand what's happening here. Where did the x(1,2) come from and how is e1=(1,2)
    derived from this?
    http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/eigen2.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

Re: eigenvectors

hi Ry22

if A is you matrix first solve the characteristic equation given by
    [tex]det(\textbf{A} - \lambda.\textbf{I}) [/tex]
    this give you the eigenvalues

Then to solve for the eignevectors corresponding to the ith eginevalue lambda, solve
    [tex]\textbf{A}.\textbf{x} = \lambda_i.\textbf{x} [/tex]

it is not clear whether your original matrix is the one given, of which one of the eigenvalues is zero, or this is actually the matrix B related to an eigenvalue given by
    [tex]\textbf{B}.\textbf{x} = (\textbf{A}- \lambda_i.\textbf{I}).\textbf{x}= \textbf{0}[/tex]

probably the 2nd case where the eigenvalue is known and included in the matrix - do you have any more info?

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3

the matrix does include the eigenvalues and i understand how they're obtained. im just not sure about how the eigenvectors are obtained

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

defintion of eignevectors for eignevalue lambda i, are that they mapped into a scalar multiple (= lamda i) of themselves.
    [tex]\textbf{A}.\textbf{x} = \lambda_i.\textbf{x} [/tex]

re-writing the equation gives:
    [tex]\textbf{B}.\textbf{x} = (\textbf{A}- \lambda_i.\textbf{I}).\textbf{x}= \textbf{0}[/tex]

In your 2d case x = (x,y) where x and y are unknown, so an equation from B.x to get x in terms of y. (note both equations give you the same relation)

note the eigenvector is not unique, if u is an eigenvector, then so is k.u for any scalar k. So you only determine the eigenvector upto a constant.

does this answer your question?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  6. Apr 2, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Do the matrix multiplication:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}-4 & 2 \\ -2 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}-4x+ 2y \\-2x+ y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    and, since two matrices are equal if and only if corresponding terms are equal, that gives -4x+ 2y= 0, -2x+ y= 0. Both of those equations reduce to the same thing, y= 2x. Now, by scalar multiplication of a matrix, it is true that
    [tex]x\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ 2x\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Actualy, we could have just chosen x= 1, or any other non-zero value, to get an eigen vector.

7. Jun 21, 2009 #6

where did the x come from in the matrix on the RHS?
    [tex]
    x\begin{bmatrix}1 \\ 2\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}x \\ 2x\end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

8. Jun 21, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

From the "x" on the LEFT side, of course! I just multiplied the x into the vector.

9. Jun 21, 2009 #8

well where did the 1 come from for the vector?

10. Jun 21, 2009 #9

lanedance

Homework Helper

which 1?

the key to understanding this I think is to recognise each eignvalue has in fact a subspace associated with it & the eigenvectors for a given eigenvalue is a set of vectors that spans that subspace.

In this case the subspace is a line, so you can pick any vector that spans the line given by -4x + 2y = 0, or equivalently y=2x. This is what I meant by determining the vector upto a constant.

Hey Halls, on a seprate issue, any new latex seems to display as black for me & I can;t read it any more - any ideas on how I can fix it?

11. Jun 22, 2009 #10

so i have y=2x
    and a matrix is derived from it.
    it consists of x and 2x. i can understand where 2x came from because y=2x.
    but why do we make the other element of this matrix x?

12. Jun 22, 2009 #11

lanedance

Homework Helper

I think Halls was using an easy way to show the line y = 2x is parallel to the vector [1,2] as follows

i can't read tex at the moment so here goes, these should be column vectors to match above
    [x,y]
    =[x,2x] from the equation of the line through the origin y=2x
    =x[1,2]

13. Jun 22, 2009 #12

It's simple matrix multiplication, a scalar times a matrix is just the product of each term in the matrix and the scalar (in this case x).

14. Jun 22, 2009 #13

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't. It's been x the whole time. You started by calling the first component x and the second y. Then you found out that they satisfy the relationship y=2x. That means that you can write your two components as x and 2x. If you prefer, you can write them as y/2 and y instead.

15. Jun 22, 2009 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are asking the right person because the same thing happened to me! I asked the administrators and they said they had put in an update of the LaTex and suggested that I was using an old version of "Internet explorer". It turned out I was (I was using version 6 and the latest is version 8). I downloaded the new version and now the LaTex works fine.

16. Jun 22, 2009 #15

lanedance

Homework Helper

thanks - will try the update

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook