1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4x4 Matrix Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

1. Apr 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have 4 equations.

3x+6y-5z-t=-8
    6x-2y+3z+2t=13
    4x-3y-z-3t=-1
    5x+6y-3z+4t=-6

I have already solved this matrix using gauss elimination and found that x=1, y=2, z=5, t=-2

Now the next part of the question asks to solve the matrix using eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

2. Relevant equations
    Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors

3. The attempt at a solution

I have worked through to find the eigenvalues and received this equation

0=L^4 - 4(L^3) - 30(L^2) - 162L + 537, where L is lander

from this I found the Eigen values
    -3.4989-3.8757i
    -3.4989+3.8757i

Which I am fairly confident are correct.
    However I am unsure about how to continue from here and how the corresponding eigenvectors will solve the matrix.

Thanks Very Much

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Given that matrix A has eigenvalues [itex]\lambda_1[/itex], [itex]\lambda_2[/itex], [itex]\lambda_3[/itex], and [itex]\lambda_ 4[/itex], with corresponding eigenvectors [itex]v_1[/itex], [itex]v_2[/itex], [itex]v_3[/itex], and [itex]v_4[/itex], form the matrix P having those eigenvectors as columns and diagonal matrix D having the eigenvalues on its diagonal. Then [itex]A= PDP^{-1}[/itex]. The equation Ax= y is the same as [itex]PDP^{-1}x= y[/itex] and then [itex]DP^{-1}x= P^{1}y[/itex], [itex]P^{-1}x= D^{-1}P^{-1}y[/itex], and, finally, [itex]x= PD^{-1}P^{-1}y[/itex]. It is relatively easy to find [itex]P^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]D^{-1}[/itex] is just the diagonal matrix with the reciprocals of the diagonal elements of D on its diagonal.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  4. Apr 30, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Generally, the Greek letter lambda, λ, (not "lander") is used for the unknown eigenvalues, thus the characteristic equation is written:

λ4 - 4λ3 - 30λ2 - 162λ + 537 = 0

They are.

5. Apr 30, 2015 #4
    thanks, my bad. for some reason everyone I work with calls it lander instead of lambda

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are anywhere near Boston, Massachusetts, they may be saying "lamb-der"!

7. May 2, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does your question go on to explain what it means when it says "solve the matrix"? There are many things you can do with eigenvalues/eigenvectors; youcan use them to solve numerous, varied types of "problems", but I cannot figure out what problem the question is now asking you to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted