Reduced equation of quadratic forms

In summary, the student attempted to solve the homework problem involving the quadric surfaces, but wasn't able to continue past the characteristic polynomial. They found the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix associated to the quadric form, calculated the matrix Q corresponding to a rotation about the y axis, and solved for x and z in terms of x' and z' .
grimTesseract

Homework Statement

Given the following quadric surfaces:

1. Classify the quadric surface.
2. Find its reduced equation.
3. Find the equation of the axes on which it takes its reduced form.

Homework Equations

The quadric surfaces are:

(1) ##3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2 - 2xz + 2\sqrt{2}(x+z)-2 = 0 ##

(2) ##2x^2 + 2y^2 -z^2 -2xy -2xz -4yz + 2x + 2y +10z -7 = 0 ##

(3) ##x^2 + y^2 -2 z^2 + 2xy -3 \sqrt{2}x +3 \sqrt{2}y = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to classify (1) and (3) as an ellipsoid and a hyperbolic paraboloid, respectively. However, the characteristic polynomial of (2) has decimal roots and I wasn't able to continue past that... Wolfram Alpha tells me it should be a two-sheeted hyperboloid.

However, I do not know how to compute the 2nd or 3rd parts of my problem. I'm sure it will emerge from the work I've already done, so I include my methodology:

I found the eigenvalues of the matrix associated to the quadric form. In the case of (1) these were ##2, 3, 4## with the associated eigenvectors ##(1,0,1),(0,1,0),(-1,0,1)## respectively.

I normalized these, and my basis became ##(\frac{1}{\sqrt2}, 0, \frac{1}{\sqrt2}), (0, 1, 0), (\frac{-1}{\sqrt2}, 0, \frac{1}{\sqrt2})##. Not sure how to proceed from here. Knowing that the determinant of the original matrix was nonzero, I was able to deduce this was an ellipsoid from the signs of the eigenvalues and of the lower order terms.

In the case of (3), the eigenvalues are ##-2, 2, 0## and the normalized eigenvectors are ##(0, 0, 1), (\frac{1}{\sqrt2}, \frac{1}{\sqrt2}, 0), (\frac{-1}{\sqrt2}, \frac{1}{\sqrt2}, 0) ##. These are the columns of my invertible matrix ##Q## and I calculated ##Q^TB##, where ##B## is the matrix of the coefficients of my lower order terms. I was again able to deduce from a list of properties that this is a hyperbolic paraboloid.

And yet now I'm stuck. All help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
grimTesseract said:
(1) ##3x^2 + 3y^2 + 3z^2 - 2xz + 2\sqrt{2}(x+z)-2 = 0 ##

However, I do not know how to compute the 2nd or 3rd parts of my problem. I'm sure it will emerge from the work I've already done, so I include my methodology:

I found the eigenvalues of the matrix associated to the quadric form. In the case of (1) these were ##2, 3, 4## with the associated eigenvectors ##(1,0,1),(0,1,0),(-1,0,1)## respectively.

I normalized these, and my basis became ##(\frac{1}{\sqrt2}, 0, \frac{1}{\sqrt2}), (0, 1, 0), (\frac{-1}{\sqrt2}, 0, \frac{1}{\sqrt2})##. Not sure how to proceed from here. Knowing that the determinant of the original matrix was nonzero, I was able to deduce this was an ellipsoid from the signs of the eigenvalues and of the lower order terms.
This gives a matrix corresponding to a rotation about the ##\ y\ ## axis of ±45 ° .

## \left [ \begin{matrix} \displaystyle
\frac 1 {\sqrt{2}} & 0 & \displaystyle \frac 1{\sqrt{2}} \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
\displaystyle \frac {-1} {\sqrt{2}} & 0 & \displaystyle \frac 1 {\sqrt{2}}
\end{matrix} \right ] ##

Use it to find x and z in terms of x' and z' . Plug them in. Do some algebra.

1. What is a reduced equation of quadratic forms?

The reduced equation of quadratic forms is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the variables in a quadratic equation. It is often used in solving systems of equations and determining the nature of the solutions.

2. How is the reduced equation of quadratic forms calculated?

The reduced equation of quadratic forms can be calculated using a process called completing the square. This involves manipulating the original quadratic equation to create a perfect square trinomial, which can then be written in the form of the reduced equation.

3. What is the purpose of finding the reduced equation of quadratic forms?

Finding the reduced equation of quadratic forms is important for understanding the nature of the solutions to a quadratic equation. It can also help in solving systems of equations and finding the vertex of a parabola.

4. How does the discriminant relate to the reduced equation of quadratic forms?

The discriminant, which is the part of the quadratic formula under the square root sign, is directly related to the reduced equation of quadratic forms. It is used to determine the nature of the solutions by evaluating the value of the discriminant.

5. Can the reduced equation of quadratic forms be used to solve other types of equations?

Yes, the reduced equation of quadratic forms can be used to solve other types of equations such as cubic and quartic equations. However, the process may be more complex and involve additional steps.