Calc 3: Equation of a line normal to the contour

So yes, you are correct.In summary, the task was to find the equation of the line normal to the contour of the function g(x,y)=x^2 - xy + 2y^2 that passes through the point (1,2). The approach involved taking the partial derivatives with respect to x and y and then plugging in the point (1,2) to get the equation of the tangent plane. However, this was not the desired solution. The correct solution was to take the partial derivatives at the given point and use the symmetric equations for lines to find the equation x=1. This is the line normal to the contour passing through (1,2).
mtruong1999

Homework Statement

Given g(x,y)=x2 - xy + 2y2, find the equation of the line normal to the contour that passes through the point (1,2).

Homework Equations

Not 100% positive, but the equation to a plane tangent to a function of 3 variables g(x,y,z) is (partial of x)(x - x0) + (partial of y)(y - y0) + (partial of z)(z - z0)= 0
So, I assume that for a function of 2 variables, using this same equation (without the z component, of course) would result in a line tangent to the contour?

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble picturing this. So far I took the partial derivatives with respect to x (which is 2x - y) and with respect to y (which is -x+4y).
What I think I should do is to plug in (1,2) into the partial derivatives, which
would give me 0 for the partial with respect to x, and 7 for the partial with respect to y. Then I plug into the equation 0(x-1)+7(y-2)=0 which I believe is the equation to the line tangent at (1,2)... then I don't know where to go from here...

--or--

Would I just take the partials with respect to x and y at point (1,2) which gives me 0 and 7 respectively then plug them into the symmetric equations for lines? Hmm but the symmetric for the x component would give me and undefined number, so if I wrote it in vector form instead I would get x=1 and y=2+7t which is nicer. Is this the right answer/ did I do this right.
I'm very lost on the appropriate approach to this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
mtruong1999 said:
Then I plug into the equation 0(x-1)+7(y-2)=0 which I believe is the equation to the line tangent at (1,2)... then I don't know where to go from here...
Apart from simplifying it to y = 2, you are done here. However, as you noted before, this is the equation of the tangent plane - not the line normal to the contour. It is the tangent because ##\nabla g## is normal to the contour and the equation ##(\vec x - \vec x_0) \cdot \vec n## describes the plane that passes through ##\vec x_0## and has ##\vec n## as its surface normal.

mtruong1999 said:
Would I just take the partials with respect to x and y at point (1,2) which gives me 0 and 7 respectively then plug them into the symmetric equations for lines? Hmm but the symmetric for the x component would give me and undefined number, so if I wrote it in vector form instead I would get x=1 and y=2+7t which is nicer. Is this the right answer/ did I do this right.
I'm very lost on the appropriate approach to this problem.
On vector form, the equation for a line in the direction ##\vec n## passing through ##\vec x_0## is indeed ##\vec x = \vec x_0 + \vec n t##, where ##t## is a curve parameter. Now, since your normal has an ##x##-component 0, this can just be summarised as the line ##x = 1##, the parametrisation of ##y## really does not matter.

1. What is the equation of a line normal to a contour in Calc 3?

In Calc 3, the equation of a line normal to a contour is given by y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the contour at the point of tangency and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you find the slope of the contour at the point of tangency?

The slope of the contour at the point of tangency can be found by taking the derivative of the contour function with respect to x, and evaluating it at the point of tangency.

3. Can there be multiple lines normal to a single contour?

Yes, there can be multiple lines normal to a single contour. Each line will have a different slope and y-intercept, but they will all be perpendicular to the contour at the point of tangency.

4. What does the slope of the normal line tell us about the contour?

The slope of the normal line tells us the rate of change of the contour at the point of tangency. A steeper slope indicates a faster rate of change, while a gentler slope indicates a slower rate of change.

5. Is it possible for a contour to have no normal line?

No, it is not possible for a contour to have no normal line. Every point on a contour has a unique normal line that is perpendicular to the contour at that point.