1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

400kJ of work is exerted to reduce a car's velocity

1. Apr 14, 2016 #1
    Problem Statement: 4*10^5 Joules of work is required to reduce a car's velocity from 30m/s to 15m/s. What is the car's mass?

Relevant equations: Ke=.5*m*v^2

The attempt at a solution:

V1 = 30m/s
    V2 = 15m/s
    M = mass of car

.5*M*V1^2 - 4*10^5J = .5*M*V2^2

450M - 4*10^5J = 112.5M

-4*10^2 = -337.5M
    1185kg = M

My Question: My algebra checks out I think, my only question is if I approached the problem correctly. The question is phrased in terms of work, so do I need to find force and displacement? Or is using the equation for kinetic energy acceptable?

Thanks guys

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Using KE is fine. You cannot readily use force and displacement because you have no idea how the force varies over time. It can be done, but it's unnecessary extra work.
    It does bother me a bit that the question says a positive quantity of work has to be done to reduce the car's speed. It should be a negative quantity, of course.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted