Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4x4 lorentz matrix and finding its inverse

1. Oct 7, 2012 #1
    I have been struggling to find an inverse to a Lorentz matrix [itex]\Lambda[/itex] using formula: [itex]\Lambda^{-1}= \frac{1}{| \Lambda| }\textrm{adj}(\Lambda)[/itex] from linear algebra.

[itex]
    \Lambda =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \gamma&0&0&-\beta \gamma \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
    -\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/itex]

My professor says that inverse to the matrix above is:

[itex]
    \Lambda^{-1} =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \gamma&0&0&\beta \gamma \\
    0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
    \beta \gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/itex]

I tried to derive inverse matrix metodically by first calculating the determinant of [itex]\Lambda[/itex], then matrix of minors, matrix of cofactors,
    adjugate matrix and in the end using the above formula to find the inverse. And i end up with this:

[itex]
    \Lambda^{-1} = \frac{1}{|\Lambda|} \textrm{adj}(\Lambda) = \frac{1}{\gamma^2 (1 - \beta^2)}
    \begin{bmatrix}
    \gamma & 0 & 0 &\beta \gamma\\
    0 & \gamma^2(1-\beta^2) & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & \gamma^2(1-\beta^2) & 0\\
    \beta \gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma\\
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/itex]

Well my result is not what my professor says i should get. In my adjugate matrix parts with [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\beta \gamma[/itex] seem wrong.
    Is it possible my professor wrote down wrong inverse matrix?

I have tripple checked all the calculations, but i simply can't get the right result. Here is my whole derivation (please click the lower "DOWNLOAD" button).
    Could anyone point me to the right direcction?
    I am kind of lost here, but i am sure i have done a lot of work and am near the solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2012 #2
    Erm, what do you think [itex]\gamma^2 (1-\beta^2)[/itex] is?

4. Oct 7, 2012 #3
    OMG it is 1!!! I AM SUCH A NOOB :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook