4x4 lorentz matrix and finding its inverse

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle of finding an inverse to a given Lorentz matrix using a formula from linear algebra. The professor provides the correct inverse matrix while the individual tries to derive it methodically but ends up with a different result. After checking their calculations, they realize their mistake and the correct result is confirmed.
71GA
I have been struggling to find an inverse to a Lorentz matrix [itex]\Lambda[/itex] using formula: [itex]\Lambda^{-1}= \frac{1}{| \Lambda| }\textrm{adj}(\Lambda)[/itex] from linear algebra.

[itex]
\Lambda =
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma&0&0&-\beta \gamma \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
-\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

My professor says that inverse to the matrix above is:

[itex]
\Lambda^{-1} =
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma&0&0&\beta \gamma \\
0 & 1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0\\
\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

I tried to derive inverse matrix metodically by first calculating the determinant of [itex]\Lambda[/itex], then matrix of minors, matrix of cofactors,
adjugate matrix and in the end using the above formula to find the inverse. And i end up with this:

[itex]
\Lambda^{-1} = \frac{1}{|\Lambda|} \textrm{adj}(\Lambda) = \frac{1}{\gamma^2 (1 - \beta^2)}
\begin{bmatrix}
\gamma & 0 & 0 &\beta \gamma\\
0 & \gamma^2(1-\beta^2) & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & \gamma^2(1-\beta^2) & 0\\
\beta \gamma & 0 & 0 & \gamma\\
\end{bmatrix}
[/itex]

Well my result is not what my professor says i should get. In my adjugate matrix parts with [itex]\gamma[/itex] and [itex]\beta \gamma[/itex] seem wrong.
Is it possible my professor wrote down wrong inverse matrix?

I have tripple checked all the calculations, but i simply can't get the right result. Here is my whole derivation (please click the lower "DOWNLOAD" button).
Could anyone point me to the right direcction?
I am kind of lost here, but i am sure i have done a lot of work and am near the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Erm, what do you think [itex]\gamma^2 (1-\beta^2)[/itex] is?

Muphrid said:
Erm, what do you think [itex]\gamma^2 (1-\beta^2)[/itex] is?

OMG it is 1! I AM SUCH A NOOB :)

1. What is a 4x4 Lorentz matrix?

A 4x4 Lorentz matrix is a mathematical representation of the Lorentz transformation, which is used in special relativity to describe the relationship between space and time in different reference frames. It is a 4x4 square matrix that contains elements representing the relative motion between two reference frames.

2. How is a 4x4 Lorentz matrix constructed?

A 4x4 Lorentz matrix is constructed by combining the elements of a 3x3 rotation matrix and a 1x3 boost matrix. The rotation matrix represents the spatial transformation between the two reference frames, while the boost matrix represents the time transformation. These two matrices are then combined to form the 4x4 Lorentz matrix.

3. How do you find the inverse of a 4x4 Lorentz matrix?

The inverse of a 4x4 Lorentz matrix can be found by using the inverse formula for 4x4 matrices, which involves finding the determinant and adjugate of the matrix. The determinant of a 4x4 Lorentz matrix is always equal to 1, making the calculation simpler. The adjugate matrix is then divided by the determinant to find the inverse of the 4x4 Lorentz matrix.

4. What is the significance of finding the inverse of a 4x4 Lorentz matrix?

The inverse of a 4x4 Lorentz matrix is used to reverse the transformation between two reference frames. This is important in special relativity, as it allows us to calculate the values in one reference frame based on the values in another reference frame. It also helps in understanding the symmetry between different reference frames.

5. How is a 4x4 Lorentz matrix used in physics?

A 4x4 Lorentz matrix is used in many areas of physics, particularly in special relativity and particle physics. It is used to describe the relationship between space and time in different reference frames, as well as to calculate the energy and momentum of particles moving at high speeds. It also plays a crucial role in the equations of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.