5.8Ghz phones, less harmful than 2.4Ghz?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Chaos' lil bro Order
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
Chaos' lil bro Order
Messages
682
Reaction score
2
I was wondering about these new cordless phones running at 5.8Ghz, are they more harmful than the old 2.4Ghz phones, considering their frequency is over twice as energetic? Maybe the 5.8Ghz, use less power (amplitude) I don't know, but another thought is that at least the 5.8Ghz frequency is further away from the water molecule resonances around ~2.4Ghz.

Personally, I don't know what to think of the hoopla concerning phones and cancer or other ailments and I'd be curious to know what professional physicists think about this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
5.8Ghz is still a lot lower than the frequency of visible light ~10^15Hz, and people don't spend too much time worrying about light bulbs causing cancer. I am not so sure about exactly how they would cause cancer though - best ask a biochemist.