50Hz vs. 60Hz Electricity cycles

In summary, the conversation discusses the efficiency of generating electricity at a 60Hz cycle compared to a 50Hz cycle. It is mentioned that only a minority of countries use 60Hz, and the reason for this is questioned. The only potential reason mentioned is to comply with the English metric system, but the speaker is looking for further explanations and resources to do additional reading on the topic. A link to an article discussing utility frequency is provided as a starting point.
JohnielWhite
I have been reading and it came to my attention that it is more effective to generate electricity at a 60Hz cycle that it is at a 50Hz cycle. Yet only a minority of countries generate electricity using 60Hz. Why is it most countries generate their electricity at a 50Hz cycle when it is known that 50 Hz is less efficient that 60 Hz, results in greater losses and is more expensive? Other than to comply with the English metric system is there any real reason for doing this?
Please provide reference where possible so i can do additional readings. Thanks

P.S tagged are some of the most helpful members of the forum

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, don't blame the English for the metric system!

On the face of it, reactance of the power line would be more significant with long transmission distances for the higher frequency. Beyond this, I can't think of anything.

Ok that's a start and thanks for your reply @ NascentOxygen...
@SteamKing I wasnt placing blame, sorry if it seem that way... I would really appreciate if you gave an answer to the question though... Which in essence, why does most countries operate on a 50Hz cycle rather than a 60 Hz cycle...

If possible could you provide literature or a source of information so I could do further reading into your responses. Thanks...

I have read that link/article before. What I was hoping for is to obtain some deeper findings and research from someone, preferably an engineer who have already done research on this area and had literature that would be useful just for reading purposes. Thanks for sharing your knowledge, it was greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between 50Hz and 60Hz electricity cycles?

The main difference between 50Hz and 60Hz electricity cycles is the frequency at which the alternating current (AC) flows. 50Hz electricity cycles have a frequency of 50 cycles per second, while 60Hz electricity cycles have a frequency of 60 cycles per second. This difference in frequency can affect the performance and efficiency of electrical devices.

2. Which countries use 50Hz and which use 60Hz electricity cycles?

The standard frequency for electricity cycles varies by country. Generally, most European and Asian countries use 50Hz electricity cycles, while North America and parts of South America use 60Hz electricity cycles. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, so it is best to check the specific frequency used in a particular country.

3. Can I use a device designed for 50Hz in a country with 60Hz electricity?

It depends on the device. Some devices, such as electronic devices with power adapters or devices with universal power supplies, can work with both 50Hz and 60Hz electricity cycles. However, some devices, particularly those with motors or heating elements, may not work properly or may be damaged if used with the wrong frequency. It is important to check the device's specifications before using it in a different country.

4. How does the frequency of electricity cycles affect electrical equipment?

The frequency of electricity cycles can affect the performance and efficiency of electrical equipment. For example, motors may run at different speeds depending on the frequency, and heating elements may produce more or less heat. Additionally, electronic devices may experience interference or display incorrect time if they are designed for a different frequency than the one they are being used in.

5. Can I convert 50Hz electricity to 60Hz or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to convert electricity from one frequency to another using specialized equipment. However, this process can be expensive and may not be practical for everyday use. It is best to use devices designed for the specific frequency in which they will be used to avoid any potential issues or damage.