Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6 Nodes, 4 Elements, Size of Stiffness Matrix?

1. Apr 19, 2013 #1
    Howdy,

If I have the following configuration of nodes:

2---4--6
    | \ | /|
    | \ | / |
    | \| / |
    | \/ |
    1---3--5

What should the dimensions of my FEM stiffness be?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2013 #2
    Alright my attempt at formatting got messed up once I posted. Nodes 2-4-6 are equally spaced across the top, and nodes 1-3-5 sit below 2-4-6 on the bottom. 2-4-6 are respectively connected to 1-3-5 vertically, and 2 is connected to 3 diagonally, and 3 is connected to 6 diagonally.

4. Apr 19, 2013 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The matrix size is (number of nodes) times (number of degrees of freedom per node).

The number of elements and how they connect is irrelevant.

5. Apr 19, 2013 #4
    So is the (number of nodes) = (number of rows) and the (DOFs per node) = (number of columns)?

6. Apr 19, 2013 #5
    Just to check my understanding, I think that my arrangement of nodes (4 total) with 2 DOFs each (8 total) leaves me with a 4X8 stiffness matrix. Is that correct?

7. Apr 19, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Stiffness matrices are square and symmetric. So your stiffness matrix will be 8x8.

8. Apr 19, 2013 #7
    So is there a (nodes,DOFs) equation that states the size of a stiffness matrix for a system?

9. Apr 19, 2013 #8

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, the number of rows and columns are both equal to (number of nodes) x (DOFs per node) .

Sorry if that wasn't clear - I took it as "obvious" that stiffness matrices are square.

10. Apr 19, 2013 #9
    So for my 6 node example, the stiffness would be sized (number of nodes = 6) x (DOFs per node = 2) = 12 x 12?

11. Apr 19, 2013 #10

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Apr 19, 2013 #11
    So that's the most difficult part of FEM, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook