What is the most incompressible elastomer?

Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all!

Usually, one would model a rubber as incompressible (##\nu \rightarrow \infty## or equivalently ##\kappa \rightarrow \infty##, where ##\nu## is Poisson ratio and ##\kappa## is bulk compressibility). However, I am trying to use rubber in an application where performance will improve the closer ##\nu## gets to 0.5. Are there any commercially available elastomers that are exceptionally incompressible (better than other elastomers)? (I know that relying on consistent material properties from something like rubber is generally a bad idea, but if this works it would be very convenient.)

For background, the reason I am doing this is to achieve a joint that is stiff axially and compliant tangentially. My thought was to use a thin disk-shaped pad of rubber. According to this reference (publisher link, open-access link), the axial stiffness of a thin cylindrical pad of rubber should scale like ##\frac{1}{1-2\nu}##, which will tend towards infinity as ##\nu \rightarrow 0.5##. In contrast, the transverse stiffness does not scale like this and does not explode as ##\nu \rightarrow \infty##. (See equations 3-3a (axial) and 3-3c (shear) in the linked reference for the exact formulae.) I've verified this trend with finite-element simulations (at least using a linear elastic material model, still working on a hyperelastic material model). But, this only works if the rubber's Poisson ratio is very close to 0.5 (the closer, the better). Hence my question above.

I realize that wires satisfy the same criteria above (stiff axially, compliant tangentially). But the rubber pads would be much simpler to implement in my application. Wires are my plan B if this rubber pad idea doesn't pan out.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Twigg said:
For background, the reason I am doing this is to achieve a joint that is stiff axially and compliant tangentially.
Hanging a mass from a support, using a flexible metal tape that is clamped at the ends, allows movement in one direction. One or two twisted tapes will give you two directions of freedom.

Likes Twigg
Baluncore said:
Hanging a mass from a support, using a flexible metal tape that is clamped at the ends, allows movement in one direction. One or two twisted tapes will give you two directions of freedom.
I think this is similar to my plan B of using a wire to suspend the mass. I agree this is definitely a cleaner way of getting the desired constraint. However, the rubber pads (if they work) would significantly simplify the assembly because I wouldn't need to add features to anchor the the wires or tapes to. (If this is a silly endeavour and I should give up and settle on wires/tapes, just let me know. Thanks!)

1. What is an elastomer?

An elastomer is a type of polymer that has elastic properties, meaning it can stretch and return to its original shape. It is commonly used in products such as rubber bands, tires, and gaskets.

2. What makes an elastomer incompressible?

An elastomer is considered incompressible because it is able to resist deformation under pressure. This is due to its high cross-linking density, which gives it a rigid and inflexible structure.

3. What factors determine the compressibility of an elastomer?

The compressibility of an elastomer depends on its chemical composition, cross-linking density, and molecular weight. Elastomers with higher cross-linking density and molecular weight tend to be more incompressible.

4. What is the most incompressible elastomer?

The most incompressible elastomer is polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), also known as Teflon. This is because it has a very high cross-linking density and molecular weight, making it extremely resistant to compression.

5. How is the compressibility of an elastomer measured?

The compressibility of an elastomer is typically measured using a compression test, where a sample of the material is placed between two plates and compressed under a specific load. The change in thickness of the sample is then measured and used to calculate its compressibility.