Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6V 300mA solar panel or 4v 430mA panel

1. Jan 2, 2010 #1
    Please help me...

I need to make a solar boat for a project. the problem is this that i have two options of buying the solar panel which suits my max. dimension of solar panel. one is 6V 300mA and other one is 4V 400mA.

Now i am a bit confused about which one to buy.as i need both the speed and torque in the motor running via it to run the race,,

Please help me to choose which one will be better if i use to them to power a motor to run my boat..

Thanks in advance !!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2010 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 6v panel produces slight more power (1.8W rather than 1.6W) but a more important questions is
    what voltage motor do you have available?
    Is this going to be a simple panel->motor or are you planning some motor control electronics

4. Jan 2, 2010 #3

cronxeh

Gold Member

This is for a toy boat right, not something people would be on? I shudder to think someone who doesn't know the power formula would be designing this :uhh:

The actual answer depends on the total dimensions of the available space, the total weight allowed, and the power output for every type of solar panel available. Then its a matter of modeling.

5. Jan 2, 2010 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hoped that with a 1.5W panel they weren't planning an ocean crossing ;-)

6. Jan 3, 2010 #5
    it is a toy boat. there is limit for 150 sq.cm of the solar cell. now i could get max of the above from it

7. Jan 3, 2010 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 6V panel puts out slightly more power and you are probably going to be able to more easily find 6V motors than 4V ones

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook