Photovoltaic vs. thermal radiator Solar Panel comparison (using a lens)

In summary, the conversation is about the comparison between photovoltaic solar panels and thermal radiator type solar panels. The main question is how they compare when both have the same collection area. The conversation also discusses the possibility of using a lens to focus the heat on the radiator, and the potential advantages and disadvantages of this approach. The efficiency and practicality of each type of panel is also discussed, with the consensus being that PV panels are simpler and more efficient, while thermal panels may be more suitable for heating water. Finally, the conversation touches on the dangers and challenges of working with concentrated solar energy and the potential for using PV panels for heating purposes.
solvejskovlund said:
I've played with the idea of adding copper pipes on the back of PV panels, and add insulation on the back to keep the heat in.
These ideas are always worth playing with but, when you get down to it, it's the numbers that count. It would be necessary to compare the heat that gets to the cooling pipes with what you'd get from black pipes (plus other fancy additions) with what you can expect from your 'in behind' proposal. Then you'd need to look at the economics of installing a solar heat collection system (plumbing isn't cheap). Solar heat collectors work mainly on radiant energy from the Sun and they would be in the shade if behind PV panels. Afaik, thermal solar collectors are not usually a system of choice and PV seems is now the runaway favourite so I'd suggest that keeping them in the shade (albeit in contact with the PV panel backs) would disadvantage them. So I'd guess that any benefit would be marginal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The main benefit is area saving. If you have available area to install PV or thermal, go for PV. If you've run out of installation area, pipes behind may be worth an experiment

solvejskovlund said:
The main benefit is area saving. If you have available area to install PV or thermal, go for PV. If you've run out of installation area, pipes behind may be worth an experiment
Hi S and S,
I agree that pipes behind the PV panel would not be good, as they would be in the shade.
I would try to seal the top of the PV panels, so water could flow over them (To keep them cool) and extract any heat, though heat exchanger/heatpump, if economical.
Use plastic or glass for the cover and plastic central heating pipe for transfer.
C

solvejskovlund said:
I've seen calculations
Entirely depends on the amount of machinery involved.

There were those low emission dream houses a decade (or so...) ago with 1-2 m3 boilers with multiple heat exchangers within, fed parallelly by wood stove or solar heat (gas options and heat pumps are optional) and hooked on a high tech floor and wall heating system... Yeah, no return point is expected within the millennia.

But those simple, straightforward vacuum pipe&boiler on roof kind of systems are still kickin'.

solvejskovlund said:
I've played with the idea of adding copper pipes on the back of PV panels, and add insulation on the back to keep the heat in.
The temperature is just too low for any practical usage/return calculation.
Might be OK for a pool heating, but if you have some free area on the roof then utilizing that'll still beat it by far.

Rive said:

There were those low emission dream houses a decade (or so...) ago with 1-2 m3 boilers with multiple heat exchangers within, fed parallelly by wood stove or solar heat (gas options and heat pumps are optional) and hooked on a high tech floor and wall heating system... Yeah, no return point is expected within the millennia.

But those simple, straightforward vacuum pipe&boiler on roof kind of systems are still kickin'.The temperature is just too low for any practical usage/return calculation.
Might be OK for a pool heating, but if you have some free area on the roof then utilizing that'll still beat it by far.
Hi R,
This is quite complicated, and what do we know what developments have happened since the decades old house?

I'm always interested in subtleties, and what gets forgotten with long thread. The OP mentioned cooling the PV panels, this must have an added affect along with some heat capture.

I did have a thought about low level heat, as in a warm water tank. If it wasn't circulating and was well insulated, would heat rise to the top for reclaim?
C

solvejskovlund said:
pipes behind may be worth an experiment

Rive said:

Rive said:
The temperature is just too low for any practical usage/return calculation.
There is one huge problem in experimenting with this. You can't just go up on the roof with some pipes and even that is inconvenient for most people. You would need the pipes to be installed just before the PV panels and the PV panel fixing brackets would need to be non standard. I can't imagine any installer being interested in doing the job; they like to be up, down and off. This would involve probably double the on-roof time.

The only realistic experiment you could do would be to buy a single panel, mount it in an accessible spot with a home brewed system and play with various piping systems. Actually, you'd really need two PV panels with one as a control.

There must be lots of data about PV performance at different temperatures. That wouldn't require any of one's own experiments. Pipes with various covers would be easy to try . . . .

This is getting out of hand for anyone but the real enthusiast.

camerart said:
This is quite complicated, and what do we know what developments have happened since the decades old house?
They pretty much got retired as dream houses by now (except, maybe, for absolute enthusiasts of the 'money does not matter' type).

There is a nice paradox around insulation. The more you spend on insulating a house (bringing down the energy required to run it) the less room you'll have for additional machinery to reach a return point.

In a really well insulated house only (if any...) the cheapest, most direct heating system would worth it.

Last edited:
Rive said:
the less room you'll have for additional machinery to reach a return point.
Predicted return point is only accurate in a lifetime situation of stable prices. Also, the proportion of a person's income that's spent on Energy will be relevant. (Is it actually always worth it?) There's a good parallel with replacing primary cells with re-chargeable cells for small devices. Very often it's pretty marginal when you take into account the drag of managing the system. You have to be a suitable sort of person [this isn't a quality judgement :-) ] to organise it successfully

Imagine how 'smug' could turn into 'sick' when Fusion Power drastically reduces the cost of energy, half way towards your predicted return point. But then, I can't imagine the Energy Companies letting us get away with free Energy!!

Likes Rive