Looking for blueprints to the ISS solar panel array

• Thread starter paul3337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iss
paul3337
Hello I have a question regarding the ISS (international space station)

For about a year now, I've been using free youtube tutorials to teach myself how to 3D model for free. Just something I'm doing to educate myself.

As sort of an "exercise" I'm 3D modeling an interplanetary cycler ship concept I have. I'm trying to learn how to make more realistic solar panel arrays. So far pics I attached to his post shows what I was able to accomplish by simply using a photo of the ISS I found on NASA's website as reference. But I can do so much better if I could find schematics/blue prints of the ISS's solar panel array.

Does anybody know if there are schematics/blueprints on the internet somewhere that i can study so that i can use them for reference?
3.jpg
oribital 2.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 44
Physics news on Phys.org
When I did a Google search on part of your thread title blueprints to the ISS solar panel array I got lots of good hits. I don't know if there are any measured drawings in the papers, but have you already tried a similar search?

1. What are the components of the ISS solar panel array?

The ISS solar panel arrays are primarily composed of photovoltaic panels, which convert sunlight into electricity. Each array includes a series of interconnected solar cells, support structures, rotary joints allowing the panels to track the sun, and associated electronics for power regulation and distribution.

2. How do the ISS solar panels function?

The solar panels on the ISS function by capturing sunlight using photovoltaic cells, which generate direct current (DC) electricity. This electricity is then converted to a compatible format for use on the ISS through power converters. The panels are mounted on rotating joints that track the sun to maximize solar exposure and energy efficiency.

3. Can I access the detailed blueprints of the ISS solar panel array?

Detailed blueprints of the ISS, including its solar panel arrays, are generally restricted and controlled by NASA and other involved space agencies. These documents are not typically available to the public due to security and proprietary reasons. Researchers and professionals might gain limited access through collaborations or specific requests under strict regulations.

4. How much power do the ISS solar panels generate?

The solar panels on the International Space Station are capable of generating up to 120 kilowatts of power under optimal conditions. This power supports all the operations and experiments conducted on the ISS, including life support systems and scientific equipment.

5. What are the challenges in maintaining the ISS solar panels?

Maintaining the ISS solar panels involves dealing with the harsh environment of space, including extreme temperatures, micro-meteoroids, and orbital debris. Regular maintenance and occasional replacements are required to address degradation of solar cells, mechanical wear in the tracking joints, and damage from space debris. These tasks are typically performed during spacewalks by the ISS crew.