8th Grader in Need of Help I know barely any Physics

• Thread starter gagneana000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, in physics, a scalar quantity is one that only refers to how fast an object is moving, while a vector quantity is one that also takes into account the object's direction of movement.
gagneana000
I know barely anything about Physics and this is the 1st Physics Class I've been in.

Homework Statement

Why can only a constant speed accelerate and not a constant velocity?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea...

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since speed it a scalar quantity it only refers to how fast an object is moving. Velocity is a vector, meaning that its speed AND direction are important. Acceleration is also a vector quantity, so if an object's movement either changes direction, or goes faster, there is aceleration.

If an object is moving at constant speed, it could change directions which is a form of acceleration, but it would still be going at the same speed.

However, if an object is to be moving with constant velocity, it's speed and direction cannot change for it to be constant. It cannot accelerate

Niriz said:
Since speed it a scalar quantity it only refers to how fast an object is moving. Velocity is a vector, meaning that its speed AND direction are important. Acceleration is also a vector quantity, so if an object's movement either changes direction, or goes faster, there is aceleration.

If an object is moving at constant speed, it could change directions which is a form of acceleration, but it would still be going at the same speed.

However, if an object is to be moving with constant velocity, it's speed and direction cannot change for it to be constant. It cannot accelerate

Oh, that makes sense! Thanks! So Vector means that speed and direction are important? What is a "scalar quantity?" Thanks though :)

scalar means only the magnitude, or size is important.

So in the case of speed and velocity, the 'magnitudes' of their motion is how fast they are going

I'm still not understanding... sorry, but what do you mean their size and magnitudes? What does size have to do with speed?

I looked up the word scalar, so it's almost the opposite of Vector, it's when a quantity only relies on speed and not direction?

a scalar does not have a direction, it is just some quantity, for example temperature is a scalar since it does not have a direction. Speed is also a scalar

fizzynoob said:
a scalar does not have a direction, it is just some quantity, for example temperature is a scalar since it does not have a direction. Speed is also a scalar

Okay, I think I understand! Thanks a lot! Hopefully I'll get better in Physics!

Related to 8th Grader in Need of Help I know barely any Physics

1. What is Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It is concerned with understanding how the universe works at its most fundamental level.

2. Why is it important to learn Physics in 8th grade?

Learning Physics in 8th grade is important because it provides a foundation for understanding other scientific disciplines, such as chemistry and biology. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are useful in everyday life.

3. What are some key concepts in Physics that 8th graders should know?

Some key concepts in Physics that 8th graders should know include motion, forces, energy, electricity and magnetism, and the properties of matter. They should also have a basic understanding of scientific methods and experimental design.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Physics as an 8th grader?

To improve your understanding of Physics, it is important to actively engage in class and ask questions when you don't understand something. You can also try doing extra practice problems and experiments, and seek help from your teacher or a tutor if needed.

5. What are some real-world applications of Physics?

Physics has many real-world applications, such as designing and building structures, creating new technologies, and understanding natural phenomena like weather and climate. It is also crucial for fields such as engineering, medicine, and environmental science.