Speed VS Time to Position VS Time

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Convert this Speed vs Time graph of an airplane taking off in to a Position vs Time Graph.
    [​IMG]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    Don't know where to begin..... Please help! I have Graph paper and will make the PvT graph on there. I am only in 8th grade and know barely any Physics.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. wheres the image???

4. Sorry, It's here now!

5. first thing bring both qtys into SI or any particular system you want.(careful about the units) .

now think geometry and graphs
    what is the relation between displacement and speed. How can you relate the quantities given and get displacement(which is as good as position starting from origin in this case).

Get values of displacement for t=1,2,3 and so on and plot them on your graph.
    you should get a curvy(parabolic) figure.

6. SI? What's that?

7. ah just a system of units for measuring....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Name Unit symbol
    metre m length
    kilogram kg mass m
    second s time t

The above will be important for you. convert the speed into miles/seconds(or meter/second if you wish) which originally in miles/hour.

Then solve..

8. The speed to miles per second.... so would i just multiply the speed by 60²? And after doing that, how would I change the speed to position? Would I divide the time by the speed to get it?

9. I'm actually now thinking I should divide by 60²

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?