1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

|a| < 1 show lim |a|^n ->0

1. Nov 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

given |a| < 1, show that the limit of |a|^n goes to 0 as n goes to infinity.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

let |a|<1 and n>0 (n is a natural number, a is a real number)

then

|a^n| < 1^n

then

|a|^n < 1

then

1/n * |a|^n <= |a|^n < 1 (and we know from earlier that 1/n * |a|^n goes to zero)

so 0 <=|a|^n < 1 meaning |a|^n is bounded below.

now note that

|a| > |a|^2 > |a|^3 > ... |a|^n > |a|^(n+1) > ... since a < 1

Since a^n is progressively smaller and bounded below by zero, we know that a^n does converge by the convergent monotone sequence thm and since there are infinite items in this sequence, its limit cannot be in the set of a^n.

therefore let L be the limit,

|a^n - L| < e, since L is smaller than a^n;

a^n - L < e.

**I tried using the squeeze theorem but could not find a sequence that I new to be greater than a^n and goes to zero.** And I don't know what I am missing in order to be able to claim that L is zero.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: ##|a|^{n+1} = |a| \cdot |a|^{n}##. What happens if you take limits of both sides of this equation?

4. Nov 26, 2013 #3
    i am still missing something, cause now i am getting the lim to be e which i know is incorrect.

(n+1) * lim ln |a|= Lim (|a| * |a|^n) = lim |a| * n lim ln |a|

(n+1) = n lim |a|

(1+1/n) = lim |a|

(1+1/n)^n = (lim |a|)^n

e = lim |a|^n

5. Nov 26, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure why you're taking logs, but in any case the above doesn't make any sense.

First, how did you slide the "lim" past the ##n+1## to get ##(n+1) \lim \ln |a|##? Aren't you taking the limit with respect to ##n##?

Second, it is not true that ##\ln (|a| \cdot |a|^n) = |a| \cdot n\ln|a|## as your second equality seems to suggest.

6. Nov 26, 2013 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try taking limits directly of the left and right hand sides. Don't take logs first:
    $$|a|^{n+1} = |a| \cdot |a|^n$$
    Take advantage of the fact that you already concluded that ##\lim |a|^n## must exist because the sequence is bounded and monotonic.

7. Nov 26, 2013 #6
    I am unsure. I remember from an earlier class that the limit of x^n is equal to n * lim ln x

so i tried extending it to calculate the limits like you suggested:

lim of a^(n+1) = (n+1) * lim ln a [1]

lim (a*a^n) = lim a * lim a^n = lim a * n * lim ln a. [2] Then i divided both sides ([1], [2]) by lim ln a

8. Nov 26, 2013 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's not true. What is true is that ##\ln (x^n) = n \ln (x)## and therefore ##\lim \ln (x^n) = \lim n \ln (x)##, but that isn't going to help you here.

You have established that ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} |a|^n## must exist. Let's call this limit ##L##. Now what is ##\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} |a|^{n+1}##?

9. Nov 26, 2013 #8
    lim |a|^(n+1) = aL < L since a < 1

10. Nov 26, 2013 #9

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What else is ##\lim|a|^{n+1}## equal to? Think about sequences in general. If ##(x_n)## is some sequence and ##\lim x_n = L##, then what is ##\lim x_{n+1}##?

11. Nov 26, 2013 #10
    It should have the same limit

12. Nov 26, 2013 #11

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. So if we put ##x_n = |a|^n##, then ##x_{n+1} = |a|^{n+1}##.

If ##\lim |a|^n = L##, then what is ##\lim |a|^{n+1}##?

13. Nov 26, 2013 #12
    lim |a|^(n+1) = L

14. Nov 26, 2013 #13
    but doesn't that show

lim |a|^(n+1) = lim |a| * lim |a|^n

L = lim |a| * L
    1 = lim |a| ??

15. Nov 26, 2013 #14

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes!

Well, that would be valid if ##L## was nonzero. Notice that ##\lim |a| = |a|##, so what you have just shown is that if you can divide by ##L##, then ##|a| = 1##. But we are given that ##|a| < 1##.

We want to prove that ##L## is zero, so dividing by ##L## is not what you want to do. How can you solve ##L = \lim |a| \cdot L## for ##L##?

16. Nov 26, 2013 #15
    since |a| < 1 then lim |a| = |a| < 1 and L = lim |a| * L then L - L*Lim |a| = 0
    which implies L(1-Lim|a|)=0 therefore L = 0

17. Nov 26, 2013 #16
    got it!! thanks!

18. Nov 26, 2013 #17

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted